no start no spark

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Howdy guys,
Car has a phantom ignition problem I have no spark and my car obviously wont start. Code is 12 no rpm signal. Tried 2 different CPS's and still nothing. Traced wires and have good connectivity to ecu. Tried different Ecu and nothing. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
CP? Equador?

Does the tach fluctuate when you crank the engine? If it does, you could have the rare bad ECU. Don't count on it.

The best thing to do is use a scope that ECU. See that it is or isn't recieving the pick up signal.

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Sorry thats was CPS'S as in multiple cam position sensors, and ecuador was my phone trying to help spell ecu.....
Have jiggle the wires hundreds of time and replace about 3 feet of harness leading to the cps. I have connectivity from ecu pins to cps. And I tried a second ecu and nothing....I'll check for tach movement... how does that mean the ecu is bad?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The tach will tell you if the CPS is putting out a signal. If it lies dead, that doesn't tell much other than what you already know. If it moves with rpm, you either lost the wiring to the ECU or the ECU itself is bad. The bad ECU is rare. That is why you check at the ECU with a scope.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I currently have a supra thats on its way to getting fired up. I have a bad head so im getting a new one. But when i did try to crank my car over my tach moves a little up and down. So what does that mean? my ecu is fried?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7m ecus dont go bad except for user error.

Have checked the resistance on either cps? IS the clip good? What about the starter signal circuit? COld start injector and time switch good?