No spark from coil, no fuel, No Link w/ OBDII code reader, no power to radio

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
It's a fairly stock 1996 2JZ-GE w 90,000k original miles on it, but I did put a large stereo system in it with a capacitor. The last thing that got installed on the car prior to the "event" was a 150amp Powerhouse Racing alternator... So like when the amps hit the headlights wouldn't "dim". It's a fairly simple two amp setup with a power distribution block, capacitor, and the stereo wiring is a separate circuit on a breaker under the hood.

The event: I'm driving down the road, everything is fine, then it's not. Car goes dead, windshield wipers go nuts for no reason, roll to a stop, tow it home. Stereo breaker never tripped. I don't think the radio was even turned on when it happened.

It's sat like that for ~2 years, now we're trying to diagnose the problem:

Symptoms:
I have a FSM and to begin with we've been following the steps from http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/mkiv-tsrm/ignition-system-2jz-ge/ under the ignition system, but so far most everything checks out in terms of continuity and getting power, the plug wires and distributer are all good, crankshaft sensor is within specs in terms of what the manual says.
"event" blew the EFI Number two fuse, I replaced it. Only fuse I've been able to find blown was EFI II.
Can jump the fuel pump and tested that but no fuel when turning the key, so no fuel and no spark when cranking. No it isn't a NA-t it's stock.
Checked continuity of wires between igniter and ECU and it doesn't appear to be a harness problem.
Radio no longer gets power according to my multimeter, it isn't an inline 12v fuse but I replaced that anyways, still no voltage to radio.
OBDII scanner reports "NO LINK" when I attempt to scan for engine codes, the little triangle exclamation light on the dash is on.

So I'm thinging the ECU is fried? Can anyone ask me more questions and/or point me in the direction of having an ECU tested? I'm in rural Alabama and really do not want to have to tow my baby 50+ miles to a dealership.

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
Forget the Code Reader . . . have you tried linking the pins on the Diagnostics port and reading the Flashes of the Engine Light to see what codes you get? (as per the details in the TSRM)

Does the engine turn over OK?

The radio has nothing to do with the ECU, so sounds like you have a power problem if it's not getting any power . . .

Have you measured the 12V feed to various things? (If all your fuses are OK, it could be something as simple as your ignition switch gone faulty)

The ECUs are VERY reliable . . . but if you blew one of the Fuses feeding it, it sounds like something has gone short circuit (and maybe inside the ECU itself)

Check all the 12V feeds with a meter first . . . if they are all there, then I would think about getting a s/h ECU to try (they are normally very cheap s/h over here)

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
"linking the pins on the Diagnostics port and reading the Flashes of the Engine Light to see what codes" I read up on this and it seems simple enough. I didn't realize it was that simple, thanks.

It turns over fine, I replaced the battery and keep it on a battery tender these days, just in case I get a wild hair to work on it.

I didn't think the radio had anything to do with the car cranking but I'm not sure what the deal is with the radio and someone had mentioned an anti-theft system to me, possibly.

We've went through everything in the ignition troubleshooting section but only recently realized there is no fuel also during cranking.
The ignition coil gets 12v as it should when the key is ON but I see what you are saying; I haven't checked every fuse for 12v, no, I haven't checked every 12v feed to the components that require it. Not EVERYTHING.

jcpham

Oct 28, 2008
Fultondale, AL
I got inspired and worked on this again this evening:
I fixed the radio it _was_ the fuse in the back of radio, I'm stupid.
I was wrong it wasn't EF #2 fuse that blew, it was EFI #1, 1996 NA is missing EFI fuse #2
EFI #1 has constant 12v power, we changed the fuse, tested the fuse.
The pin on the wiring harness for 12v from BATT has power. I have the wiring diagram book, seems like it was 33 but idk.
We tested ground on the ground pins, seems like these are at the end of the pinout.
I jumpered the OBII ports for flashing the codes, but my triangle engine light never flashed and remained constant. My ABS and cruise lights flashed though. I youtubed it I'll edit this post later with that.
My 96 is missing the OBD1 pinout for the same process above.
Hooked oscilloscope to ingitor and fuel injectors but we're not getting the square wave defined in the FSM.

So it seems like my harness is good in terms of power and ground to ECU
But it seems like I'm getting zero ECU output.
Where and what types of ECU can I purchase or have mine serviced?
I'd like to retain the mileage and such, but I don't think the ECU stores this.