No brake lights and bypassing rear yellow box didn't fix???

Randymk3

Feb 7, 2014
Ontario
Hey guys my 90 mk3 7mgte has me stumped on the no brake light problem, yesterday I noticed I had no brake lights they have running lights that work but not when brake is applied. So far I checked fuses bulbs and plunger under dash on brake pedal it's fine no rubber missing etc I tried the trick to bypass yellow box in rear drivers side tail light by connecting red/white with red/blue and green white and still no brake lights ?? Any suggestions where to look next ?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Remove the connector from the switch. Bridge the contacts with a paperclip or the like. Check if the lights are on.

If they're on, go buy a brake light switch.

Randymk3

Feb 7, 2014
Ontario
Yes checked fuse getting power to switch power out switch but when it gets to back where into plugs into yellow box reads 0.08 on multimeter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
I've currently ran into the same problem myself. Got all lights, except brake lights. Fuses are fine, and tried replacing the switch but thats a no go either. I fear I will be tracing wires. :\

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
A little background on mine. Its a 1988. Suddenly no brake lights one night. Tail lights and marker lights work. (Although wiggling the marker light wires makes it go off then back on when you wiggle them again..) Fuses do check out okay. Tried replacing the brake light switch, and that changed nothing. Tried jumping the switch (which i'm assuming to jump it, you put something in between the two big leads, correct? what are the other two leads for?) nothing still. With it plugged in, but not screwed in to the brake pedal, it should leave the brake lights on all the time also, correct? The brake light failure light is NOT on. I'm not sure how to go about checking the light failure box. Is there a way to test it? Unplugging it does turn out all the lights. I'd hate to buy a used one, not knowing if it will even work or not. I guess I could crack it open to see if any leads or anything is broken.

On a side note, tearing apart the back to look at the wires (which all look perfectly fine, leading up to the front as far as i can see), i found quite a bit of built up water in my drivers side quarter panel. Like, it was almost full. Leaking from the hatch, I assume? I don't understand how it gets back in there though, and not in my actual trunk or anywhere else that I can see. There was quite a bit of what looked like grease in there, too. Is that how our cars come?

laconic

Apr 16, 2008
alabama
I've found out this about the lamp failure box

89373-32120 - 86-92 N/A, 87 Turbo (27W High Mount, 1156 Bulb)
89373-14050 - 88 Turbo (17W High Mount, 921 Bulb)
89373-14070 - 89-92 Turbo (LED High Mount)

All models:

3.8W Side Markers (Qty: 2, 194 Bulb)
27W Turn Signals (Qty: 2, 1156 Bulb)
27W Back-Up Lamps (Qty: 2, 1156 Bulb)
8/27W Dual Filament Tail/Brake Lamps (Qty: 4, 1157 Bulb)

So, ONLY my year used that particular one. Great. I've read about jumping the plug, I'll have to find the link again but I think I'll try that and if it works I guess the search for my particular lamp failure box begins. I'm assuming if I used the 32120 one, I'd get the light on the inside all the time...