Ninja 250

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
So I just turned 18 not to long ago and wanted a bike for awhile now. 2 problems.one the money. cant support the supra and buy a good bike on flipping burgers. 2 my mom. Shes not to keen on the idea of my cruising on a bike. I was looking around on the net and came across a 89 ninja 250 for $700. My dad called the guy and the only problem was it was laided down in the grass twice(no damage) and was run into the garage door. busted windsheld. both blinkers broke and that it i think. I wanna buy it and fix it durring the winter but need some advice. thanks

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
mattman;1171760 said:
So I just turned 18 not to long ago and wanted a bike for awhile now. 2 problems.one the money. cant support the supra and buy a good bike on flipping burgers. 2 my mom. Shes not to keen on the idea of my cruising on a bike. I was looking around on the net and came across a 89 ninja 250 for $700. My dad called the guy and the only problem was it was laided down in the grass twice(no damage) and was run into the garage door. busted windsheld. both blinkers broke and that it i think. I wanna buy it and fix it durring the winter but need some advice. thanks

Its small enough for a first bike so you wont have as much of a chance for killing yourself and the thing gets over 50mpg I'm sure. Two of the biggest challenges for an 18 year old huh?

Windshield and blinks should be fairly easy to find on ebay or such. I say get it

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Buy it, the 250's keep their resale value VERY well.

It will knock down 70MPG, top out around 100MPH, and is easy to learn on and get your skills.

I've never seen a 250 go for less than $1K. A junkyard around here had one and they wanted $1300 for it...

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I had an 01 Ninja 250 when I was 16... Thing was tits, but I quickly outgrew it and was ready for bigger and better. Plenty fast enough, but didn't like the interstate travel quite so well.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
Thank guys. I really want it but the only problem is convincing my mom. my dads on board but I gotta pass the mother first. yeah i always wanted a ninja ever since i was like 6 and this is the only shot i got for awhile.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
forget the bike, buy either an econobox or a truck (go with either the mileage or the safety)

I love my bike, and I drive it often because it gets 4x the gas mileage of my truck. That said, if I had the money for gas, I would drive the truck exclusively. I'm tired of people pulling out in front of me or trying to pull out into me. Every time I drive the bike, unless it is 2am and the roads are near empty, I am scared that I will get run over.

If you are in a car/truck, and you get into a wreck, you may win, or you may lose. If you get in a wreck on the bike, you LOSE, every time.

Buy a Geo

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^true. but just look out everywhere you go. driving like a mad man will get you into to trouble. if you split lanes go slow and watch the cars.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
flight doc89;1172844 said:
forget the bike, buy either an econobox or a truck (go with either the mileage or the safety)

I love my bike, and I drive it often because it gets 4x the gas mileage of my truck. That said, if I had the money for gas, I would drive the truck exclusively. I'm tired of people pulling out in front of me or trying to pull out into me. Every time I drive the bike, unless it is 2am and the roads are near empty, I am scared that I will get run over.

If you are in a car/truck, and you get into a wreck, you may win, or you may lose. If you get in a wreck on the bike, you LOSE, every time.

Buy a Geo

Im not buying the bike for the MPG im buying it as a toy. Its not getting used as a DD but more of a sunday cruiser. Im a responsiable kid. never got a ticket, no crashes and not even pulled over. Im sure if i get it I WILL drive like everyone is trying to kill me. My moms on board now so I just gotta see the Bike and pay for it.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
That's how I drive...

people could give two shits less about you... they'd be pissed that they either A) Spilled their StarBucks B) Scratched their bumper C) Were late to work D) All of the above.

I promise if you drive like that, you'll be fine.

'oh look, a car on that side street, muther is gonna pull out in fron.... YOU SON OF A BITCH'

'Car looks awful close to the car in front of him, I bet he's wanting to get ooooo-shit'

It will happen everytime you ride. Drive to survive and dress for the slide.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
thanks for all the words of wisdom.i will keep them in mind. So im going to see the bike tomorrow and just wanted to know if i need to make sure if every thing is cool. The guy says it runs and drives great, but you know how people get when their trying to sell you things. I will check the breaks the tires and gadges to make sure there in proper order. its just im new at this and dont really know what to look for.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Take the MSF course as well it will teach you everything you need to know to get you ready to ride on the road. well atleast give you the confidence to. i went from riding a dirt bike here and there to a street bike wasnt too bad just like riding a bike. i recently bought a 2008 ninja 500 its a great starter bike plenty fast enough for me 60mpg on average and does fine on the highway and up the mountains.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Given the bike was pretty much the same until recently, I would look for a model from the later 90s early 2000s. They can still be had pretty cheap.

89 is a little old. But that's just me.

Although you may learn a lot of valuable things about bike maintenance from the older bike.

Last edited:

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
Just a follow up I ended up buying the bike. Now I just need to fix the blinkers and windsheld. thanks for all your help.