nikon d40

JZa80

Mar 6, 2009
WI
anyone have this camera or like it and ahve any inputs i can pick one up pretyt cheap for like $300 brand new

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
I'd skip it. Id prefer the Olympus E410 over the D40 any day, and I'm not really an Olympus SLR fan (they fairly decent, just dont do what I need them to do). D40 is slowww; slow fps, slow to focus, whole thing just feels slow. I've sold several dozen D40's; half of them are parents buying for a kid, the other half is someone buying for self. Of that half, probably 2/3rds tell me they wish they had gone with the D60

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I am an olympus man. I own the Evolt E-300. What I like about the olympus is the price! It will perform to 'most' amature's standards. What is also nice about the Olympus line is that the image stabilization is built in to the body so no matter what lens you put on it, you'll have IS. As opposed to the cannon DSLR's for example. Their's are in the lenses. And trust me, cannon IS lenses are not cheap!

But, back to your question:

What does the camera come with for $300? Bag, lense, memory card, etc... You can get into an olympus Evolt line pretty cheaply. And that's usually with two lenses.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I have the olympus E-510 and that was a great starting camera. It received a really high rating from all the reviewers that I looked into for having a great out he box package. I recently bought a Nikon D90 though but that is just a whole different level. If you don't plan on going to crazy I think the E-510 would be great for you. If you plan on getting more in to photography I would get something along the lines of a D90 or something in that caliber.

I also just thought about it... If you plan on going better later on you can start at the D40 and get other lenses and stuff which you can use later on, on a better body.

Last edited:

JZa80

Mar 6, 2009
WI
ya im just looking for a decent starter camera. and know nikon is pretyt good quality. im looking at spending aobut $300-$350 for a starter shoot me good decent mocdels i should look up and ill make a decision

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
The d40 is a toy, plain and simple. It just feels cheap in your hands, plus, with the focus motors being located in the lens instead of the body, half of the f-mount glass on the market won't auto focus on the things.

...and, as flightdoc mentioned, they're slow. Very slow. To focus. To shoot. To turn on. Everything.

I'd pass on the d60 as well due to the fact that neither of them have the screen on the top of the body to tell you shutter/f-stop/etc, which I just can't deal with not having. It's absurd to me to get rid of such an integral piece of the camera.

All in all it's obvious that both of them were made for beginners (I wouldn't even say that they're good enough for amateur level photographers) and, coming from a person that pays the bills with his camera gear, the only time I would use one is if I had absolutely no other option.

...I'd save for the XTi over it anyday, and I'm a nikon guy, myself.

Van Diesel