Nigel's Turbo-A build. [Reppin' for the Oz!]

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
hey well i am pretty bored at the present and been on here these forums for awhile but never really posted much, just used moreso for information but thought i might share my pride and joy with everyone.

As it stands now it is still unfinished but is at the shop gettin the pipework and tuning done so it will be back soon and i will share more info and figures accordingly..

Unfortunately not to sound too lazy but i am just going to copy and paste the main posts off my already made threads on Australian forums :) but any feedback or comments most welcome. I apologize if the posts seem kinda random as im only really doing main posts with pictures, but hopefully you get the gist of things :) Cheers
Nigel
----------------------------------------
[26/09/06]
Hey all,
as, well maybe most know, i rolled my last car the GA70... was a nice car so it did kinda suck lol, but yer after 6 months about i've managed to get myself back into the Supra swing of things :)

so here is my new ride, its a 1989 Supra Turbo-A. Its been labled a Group-A even though these werent road cars, but refering to the vin it is a genuine Turbo-A, so yay! :p

Mods:
FMIC - 600x300x100 - 3" piping, not complete :(
Tanabe 3" Turbo back exhaust
HKS SSQ BOV - replica??
Oil cooler
Power steering cooler
King springs lowered springs
High-flow CT26
on stock boost
POD
and some ugly 18" chromies lol, soon to be changed.. hopefully
The paint is pretty close to immaculate with only a few minor imperfections, and has only a few dings which aren't very noticable, i spose its the same with most cars :)

I do plan to build this car up with the regular bolt-ons.. kind of taking Zenithran and DISTURBED's cars as a guideline, altho its not like i want to copy them, everyone has different ideas and is unique.

but yer please comment till your hearts content, cheers. Nigel

untitledok3.jpg

untitled2qo5.jpg

untitled3kp5.jpg

untitled4mu7.jpg

untitled5bz2.jpg

-----------------------------
[03/10/06]

ok gave her a quick vacuum, still gotta give the dash etc a good clean to make her shine and all that jazz :)

well heres only a couple pics to give you an idea of what the interiors like, was in kinda of bad light so these the only ones that you can really get a good look at it, enjoy.

insiders3.jpg

inside2op9.jpg

----------------------------------------------
[18/10/06]

ok well time for update, i got my powersteering leak fixed up.. which was a hoe of a bitch FYI.

and now i have been looking at coilovers but while i was i came across a really good deal on wheels which i couldn't pass up, they are only 18s, and my original plan was 19s or maybe 20s, but hey i had to get rid of the ugly ass chromies and i can always change in the future if i so feel necessary.

well anyways the rims are 18x8.5" ANZ Velvets all round and i have Roadstone N3000 tyres with 235/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears, i think they suit car quite good, the offsets are pretty close to spot on, i will probably only need to roll guards minorly when i dump her..

and yes before you all fkin say it i AM going to lower it SOOOON! :p

then i can cross off another box on my never ending 'to do' list :) enjoy
btw... the car is pretty filthy in all these pics :S

nwehb0.jpg

newin7.jpg

new2gu6.jpg

new3mq9.jpg

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
----------------------------------------------
[25/03/07]

Update!: (due to boredom)

Well since it has been a long time since i have really said much about whats going on ill give a update, or at least half a one.
Im still in the middle of doing some pricing and sorting out of whats happening with the car at this time since i have alot of plans for her.

Since last update i havent done very much, mainly i bought about $400 worth of 'maintenance' parts off good old Tristan at Repco to fix up bits and peices with the car as i want to get it running all sweet before i start adding on power.
Then i went to Ezra's house a couple weekends in a row to do some work on our cars, the plan was to re-torque the headgasket on the first weekend but due to dodgy ass allen keys provided by Ezra it twisted and got rather mangled up trying to crack off all of the headbolts.

So all we got around to at first was replacing our rocker cover gaskets and clean up bits and peices. And in my case replace the rocker gaskets, leads and plugs. But also suck out the pool of oil between the rocker covers with a wet vacuum lol. It was a pretty ugly picture haha. But got that all clean up and washed down the covers so it looked abit better.

p0203071857iv8.jpg

p0203071858ah6.jpg

p02030718581zc6.jpg

The next weekend though i brought my tool box from work and we got it all sorted sweet and torqued up the HG nice and tight, (this is just a temporary thing untill i get the MHG and ARP's).

Between last time and now i have been to 2 Dyno Days, one with OST and other with SupraWA, The first time was with the car on stock boost and yer still with the turbo side of the cooler piping being stock which restricts it quite abit but it was still a good day for me, as i wasnt really expecting much from a pretty much stock '7M' even if it was a turbo-a lol. But i still managed 260hp out of her which i was pretty happy with.

dynojl4.jpg

car at dyno-day:

aimgp6077is0.jpg

The second dyno was at Xspeed and was after i done abit of work with Ez and did a bit of a dodge and shimmed the wastegate for a touch more boost. It feels alot more pokeir now even though it hits the 12psi boost cut quite freely in the colder weather. I dont have a scan of the dyno sheet, just a dodgy picture and the read out was with the AFR's and not boost :( But either way i still got 271hp, too bad they only printed out the 270.8hp sheet (got scammed! :p). The car is on 10-11psi atm

p0224071644zj4.jpg

The car has also been down the drags, but this was before it had more boost.
It was truthfully abit of a dissapointing night for me cos i wanted abit better but the car has a few niggles i need to sort out to be able to get better times as well as me learn how to launch the car abit better. The whole night i couldn't get and good 60ft times and the only one which was decent a missed 2nd gear. I missed the gears abit that night due to the shifter having a severely fked selector shaft bush, but i will live with it till i get a short shifter.
Best run of the night was a 14.4 with a 2.54 60ft at 100.8mph
But i know the car is good for at least a flat 14 or high 13, ill get there :)

PICS THANKS TO FIL!
dragslb9.jpg

drags2oi3.jpg

But where i am with the car now is sourcing up all the parts i want. I will be pulling out the engine and gearbox in a month of so and fixing/cleaning/upgrading almost everything without doing the bottom end. I've got most the parts at least sorted with prices and where i will be getting them from and just waiting on a few other places to get back to me so it is all coming together pretty alright. I am aiming that by my birthday the car will be well and truly back on the road with 400-450hp and looking pretty well like new but still be a major headturner. Then ill be happy with that for hopefully quite awhile till i am on good money so i can open her up and build it up for.. hmmmm lets just say alot more hp :)

I realise this is quite an essay i have wwritten, dunno how the toss that happened haha, was just gonna be short but anyways yer. Ill let everyone know how it comes along. Cheers

p.s Thanks to Ez and Trist for help. OST and SupraWA for the drag and dyno-days

---------------------------------------

[09/05/07]

not really an update, just abit of a preview... ish

but oh well this is my life at the moment:

dscf2653jx0.jpg

-------------------------------------
[10/05/07]

okay well few things have changed and this projet of mine may be off the road for still awhile to come, but i still want this done asap so its still not like i will be sitting on my ass.. But there is quite abit of work to do still.
But i decided because of this ill show whats happening and been happening instead of leaving everyone in the dark.

Here is what i have in my possesion so far that i will be putting on the engine.
dscf2659cg5.jpg

dscf2660dz9.jpg

- ARP Head Bolts
- ARP Rod Bolts
- Titan Motorsport 2mm MHG
- Walbro GSS341 255 L/hr Fuel Pump
- HKS FCD
- Aftermarket 19 Row Oil Cooler
- Clear Front Indicators
- 550cc Injectors
- Blitz I-D Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauges
- Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit
- High Mount S/S Turbo Manifold
- 50mm Wastegate
- T4-T3 Flange Turbo Adapter

I am waiting still on my parts ordered from Greenline to arrive being

- Cusco Front Strut Brace
- Cusco Rear Strut Brace
- Trust Catch Can
- Trust Dual Gauge 'A' Pillar Pod
- C's Short Shifter

Due to unforseen events lol.. which include alot of excess work, I have decided to go with Forged Internals.. VERY NICE!
I will be going with JE or CP Forged Pistons, Eagle Rods and Clevite 77 bearings.

I still do not have a Turbo set out since i am still in the process of finding a suitable one for my needs, especially now if i build it up with forgies, enabling me to push more power out of the engine then first anticipated.

Ill keep updating as it comes along. But the engine right now is completely stripped down to bare block and is geting sent out 2moro to get decked, then the fun begins...

-----------------------------------
[20/11/07]

more parts have been bought since last time which i cant even remember the last time was updated, but engine at reconditioners, head is getting port and polish and all machined, block all the machining and installing of all the gear. should get it back soon.

I am taking more holidays to get this thing going and hopefully ready.

New Parts:
OS Giken Twin Plate Clutch -thanks to Ez
Microtech ltx12s and loom -thanks to Azura
JVT Racing Ally 50mm Radiator
Tial 44mm Wastegate
Titan Motorsport Adjustable Cam Gears
Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg Kit
OBX Silicone Rad Hoses
Denso 660cc Injectors -thanks to Bratwurst_boy
Bomex 3 hole Front Lip -thanks Aaron (Rampant)

thats all i can think of really... probably more but meh, ill realise when i am putting it together :)

not much left to buy besides some pipework, few lil bits and peices and getting tailshaft worked.

hopefully next time this is updated the engine is at least back together or even back in the car..

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
------------------------------
[21/12/07]

continued putting motor back together, cheers to Eazy Ez for the help :D

20122007005eh2.jpg

20122007006vh6.jpg

-------------------------------
[22/01/08]

PICTURE FROM MOTORVATION HERE IN PERTH.

actually looks like a car again, motor and box in, just need to bolt lines and all that back onto it, piping and wiring and tune.

will post some progress pictures in a bit when i have some time, was fun fun getting it to how it looked in the pic lol. cheers

let me know what ya think

l8c1043ed3d9e5dbd66a09dow4.jpg

---------------------------------------
[25/01/08]

ok i am just putting up a bunch of photos from Motorvation 22 up, first time even i saw my car all together so was fun just for me to look at it too lol

l414380fc8eaad125ee5123ct5.jpg

lf0bf5d3d31705b50746dfbyi1.jpg

p1160015ud3.jpg

p1160021pc3.jpg

p1160023kw1.jpg

p1160030ox4.jpg

thats all i can be farked uploading :)

hope you all like it, and thanks for the feedback.. appreciate it

------------------------------------

and these are the pics before car was sent to shop

--------------------------

when i get some time i will run down a whole list of everything this car has but over the years i have lost track honestly and havnt taken time to update the parts list.

Thanks for looking guys
Nigel

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Wow, and authentic turbo-a, I'm very, very jealous. I always liked the turbo-A more than the lightest mk3 TTR's. Of course, love those recaro factory sets...lol, but I love the moulding with it as well. Keep it alive, forever. Great looking build. I personally would have kept the car mint, stock from the outside and built that engine and work on the interior but I like the build you're doing. I so want one, I know I will never have one though, but if I ever get the chance I will mortgage the house I have, sell my children (only 21 now) and own a piece of supra history. When you have a Group A supra, fuck the mkiv.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Wow, never thought i'd hear/see the words, "Excel" and "Turbo A" in the same sentence!!!!

Very nice car mate... Loving the wheels!!!!!

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
lol nice one, yer a few turbo-a's floating around OZ, gettin the duct put in the bumper now..
i thought about keeping it stock and original but i dont have the patience and attention to detail to pull that off, aftermarket is so much more simple and available so thats where i went, i just want a great street car/show car material. yer the 20s sit nice on it so im happy :)
thanks guys

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
im liking your build. How come it doesn't have the bumper duct? That bumper is not original? They dont come recaro's fabric seat either? or i dont remember my turbo A facts hahah

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
nah car has been in a prang in past and a stock bumper was fitted, fixing that soon anyway, turbo a ducts sets it off. and all turbo a's came with all leather interior, i would have prefered recaros also :)

ALI3N

Sep 23, 2006
Australia
yer i dont mind the leather, will see whether i redo the leather on the seats due to the age showing or if i go racing seats.
am using microtech ltx12s standalone