New Turbo

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've got good news and bad news.... The bad news is that my turbo is starting to smoke/go out. The good news is that gives me a good reason to upgrade it. I have a choice between a T3/T4 and an upgraded stocker. Price is a major issue due to my monthly income to debt ratio. My goal is 400 or more HP at about 12 PSI. I don't care about lag so much, however I would like to hit boost at around 3,000-3,500 max if possible. I know how possible that is with the T3/T4. What size compressor wheel would I need to make a CT26 do that? Also, is the turbine wheel upgradable or does it just have to be modified? Thanks for the input everybody.

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
At 12 psi I doubt you would get 400 whp from any upgraded CT26. I know 400 hp is possible with a 57 trim and up, but definitely not at 12 psi. You will also need to upgrade your fuel system to handle the extra air, ie 550s and a lex afm

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
my opinion

if you are worried about monthly income to debt ratio than you should NOT being upgrading a turbo. Parts start to break alot more frequently when you up the boost.

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm fully aware of the supporting mods needed. I know that 15PSI is the limit of the CT26. Is that because of the stock compressor wheel or the housing itself? I thought it was because of the housing and I didn't want to max it out to reach my goals. Ok, 57 trim. Any other suggestions? How about the turbine? What needs to be done to it. I know if you change the compressor wheel and not the turbine it could cause stress and shaft breakage. Thanks again for the replies.

figgie, I can handle a part at a time. However, the turbo is one of the more expensive things to replace especially since I have to upgrade the fuel too. Thanks for the concern though.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Well, I think the best all around choice for a cheap 350-400rwhp street turbo
is a .57 trim, or 56mm (just slightly bigger) upgraded CT-26. I'm doing a group
buy on the 56mm with MDC right now (check the group buy section), for $600.
That includes shipping, and stuff. The recent price upage of rebuild kits will
prolly make it so we can't offer it that cheap again 8-(, which sucks. The 56mm
or .57 trims are a small enough compressor that they spool up quickly and
respond great for the street.

A t3/t4 turbo will prolly cost $900 at least, and for that price you can get the
upgraded CT-26, and the Ball bearing upgrade, which makes it spool up way
quicker and last longer,

The t3/t4 turbos you can get for $900 will most likely have the dreaded
wastegate issue, which is easy enuff to fix, but is still a pain in the rump.
A good upgraded turbo T4 Turbo setup will be $1500.

So all in all, I think an upgraded CT-26 is a great option since you don't want
to go 500rwhp, and you're willing to accept the limitations of a stock turbo
sized housing. Pretty much, is you keep it at 15-17psi, you'll be very happy
with the response, and it'll last a long time.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
15 psi is not the limit of the CT.
With a good intercooler, we're producing in excess of 400 ft-lbs of torque at well above 15 psi on a STOCK ct...

casper35404

May 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've decided on going with the T3/T4 combo. Is there any setup that will get me my goals without going over 15lbs? (not for pressure limitations, but for room to grow with)

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I do have a TO4E "50" trim turbo for sale, if you're interested. Offers a quick spool and the HP range you're looking for. :)