New to the supra world.

fitmk3

Aug 13, 2010
St George, UT
So i recently just got the car i've wanted since i was ten years old. A Toyota Supra:biglaugh::biglaugh:. it's a 1987 n/a and although being surprisingly quick it's just not as fast as i know it could be. I've been reading up a bunch on the site on how to do a reliable n/a to turbo conversion. Here is the plan with a list of parts i'm planing on buy, please let me know if i am missing something, something is a bad idea, or what you think of my build plan.

7mgte engine from jdmtigerjapanese.com
67mm turbo kit from driftmotion.com
Intercooler kit from driftmotion.com
ARP studs and rod bolts from driftmotion.com
HKS MHG from driftmotion.com
Forged pistons from driftmotion.com
Oil pump and catch can from driftmotion.com
Walbro fuel pump from driftmotion.com
Eagle rods from driftmotion.com
AEM tru time cam gears from nopi.com
Radiator hose kit from Driftmotion.com
A'pexi catback exhaust system Driftmotion.com
Prosport Gauges
Turbo timer and boost controller.

I'm aiming for ~350-400 and being able to push ~15psi of boost.
But still keeping it reliable how it now is as a DD.
I don't plan on racing it everywhere i go. just a fun car that get's up and goes.
also Since i'm new can anyone explain what the AR of exhaust housing means? i've searched but can't find anything. Thanks in advance.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Welcome, nice plans.

7M's are very picky when it comes to head gasket jobs. There is plenty of information here to get it done properly.

You could rebuild the block you have and save some coin, but then it'll be down for a while. Either way good luck.

fitmk3

Aug 13, 2010
St George, UT
Do you have any links for properly done head gasket jobs?
I thought it wasn't a good idea to use the ge block cause all the compression, and the lack of piston oil squirters?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
fitmk3;1607197 said:
Do you have any links for properly done head gasket jobs?
I thought it wasn't a good idea to use the ge block cause all the compression, and the lack of piston oil squirters?

There are hours upon hours of reading for you here. :)

I just went through a gte swap on my beloved 90 na and trust me, you have ALL the knowledge you need on these forums to do the whole thing and know exactly what you're doing.

My sig has a link to my bhg tutorial. Although it's on an NA, most everything of importance is similar so you should find it worthwhile, i hope.

My advice with the Supra in general: START WITH BASICS. Too many people get ahead of themselves and spend thousands on mods for a motor that was never done right to begin with. Spend your money on all the things that you can't see. Proper engine components, bearings, gaskets, seals, machine work, and patience go a long ways if you want a fun, fast AND reliable Supra. ;)

Enjoy the obsession... :evil2: