New speakers in doors, crappy sound.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Oct 31, 2005
Los Angeles, California, United States
I've just purchased and installed a pair of Pioneer 6.5's 3 way speakers in my 89. Now the speaker is kinda just bolted on but there is nothing around it kinda just hanging here. I go to play some music and no bass is heard. I know it's not a sub, but i do expect a fair amount of bass should be heard. Is this due to the fact that behind the speaker it's just open?? I'm planning on powering a pair of 10's but still would like to get all the performance from these speakers as i can. Kinda shopping around for a Amp right now.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Try adding some dyna-mat stuff inside the doors to seal them from outside noise and to keep the sound dB of the speakers inside the car without escaping between gaps it should help some. but mostly try sealing around the speaker itself kinda like having a speaker pod on there to keep the sound from escaping and having poor quality

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Sealing the speaker will help tremendously as will having the speaker pods. But one thing that you can check is if they are wired up correctly. you may have 1 speaker out of phase with the other. This will cancel out your bass frequencies. You can easily check by turning the balance to each side. If you hear bass come back when you go all the way to either side then your speaker is out of phase. Switch the + and - on the incorrect speaker. Hope this helps.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Not to mention if its the pioneer 3 ways that I'm thinking of they sound like garbage no matter how well you have them in. At the futureshops around here the car audio guys strait avoid selling them because the stock speakers usually sound better than them.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Your amp might not be working either, I just installed 6.5" speaker pods in my 86.5, but they sounded like shit. I touched the cone and my finger went right through!

I replaced those speakers with the stock speakers i took out of my 92 (which were pretty damn good, honestly), once installed, I tested it out, and it sounds like shit, completely different from when they were in my 92..

Had to stop as soon as I installed the pods because I had back to school night for my step daughter...

Im going to try and test the stock amp today, but it's been raining, so we'll see..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
okay, after lots of rescearch, I learned Supras with tape players didn't come with under-seat amps, so something else had to be causing the crappy sound, so today I un-wired 89+ harness I had on my 86.5, wired in an original 86.5 harness and used the Toyota 87+ adapter..

hooked it all up, and it was still sounding crappy, so I went to the garage and grabbed the stock tape player I had on my 92, and swapped it in..

BIG difference, I finally have un-distorted bass, and nice crisp highs, guess the internal amp was screwed up on the other head-unit...

so yeah, it might be the headunit, not necessarily the speakers

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
FullNelson;1634783 said:
...arent mid range speakers mostly designed to be infinite baffle ? Wouldnt sealing up the door be just as effective

This. when doing a door, you want them sealed up. that means all the big holes too. in an IB setup, you want the front and rear waves completely separated from each other, otherwise cancellation can occur. for those who have not done it yet, go and cover up those access holes on the door with something like plexi, wood, or something of that nature.(my build in the satty that i will start in a couple of weeks will prolly involve some sheet metal from defunct vcrs) just dont forget to make them removeable if ya got to get to something in the doors! it will make a difference in your midbass.

if there is any interest, ill post up a link to a build log, when i get started on it. waiting on a few more parts to come in

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
^^ I would be very interested to see this, I have a pair of 6.5" pioneers, amplified (corrected phase), with speaker pods, and still have poor mid-bass. I've checked all of my connections and settings to no avail.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
tye-bo;1645411 said:
^^ I would be very interested to see this, I have a pair of 6.5" pioneers, amplified (corrected phase), with speaker pods, and still have poor mid-bass. I've checked all of my connections and settings to no avail.

Have you tried reversing phase with one of them? Sometimes it helps, other not so much.

Another quick "test" trial, is take the door card off and stuff shirts/fabric or whatever will slow down or reduce the sound waves from the back of the speaker and see how it sounds like that. If you like the results, seal those large holes with a removable method like trucker was saying. Ive heard roof flashing secured with self tappers and backed with a sound dampener works well. Just dont use a material that wont agree with moisture.

tye-bo

Japandy!
Sep 6, 2009
Lawndale
Thanks, I've checked the phase and had no difference in sound. I heard these speakers prior to buying them and they had a lot of bass, but I think it was due to them having a sealed enclosure. I'll give the dampener idea a go and see how it turns out. I'm not looking for a ton of bass from the components, just something that will blend a little better with the sub.

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
^^i know this was a while ago, but those baffles are just about acoustically transparent, and wouldnt be of much use in this situation, because you are not blocking the back waves. one could resin them solid, but then you are creating a small sealed enclosure, which may or may not work with the speakers used.