New Spark Plugs and Wires now super rich....

redzsupra

Jan 29, 2015
Alabama
Hey guys I'm hoping y'all can help me out.

First thing is before i changed the plugs and wires the car ran absolutely fine... I knew it was getting close to time for a change in plugs so i decided to change them out because i thought i could tell a small hiccup at my idle range (1k rpms). I changed them out with some champions from advanced auto parts, didnt mind the expensive ones, figured id start changing them out every half year so i just got the cheaper ones which "fyi still did research on forums and had a few recommend them :1zhelp: ". Not only did i do that but i changed the wires out for NGK brand.

Now onto the problems....

1. Cranked it up and it jumped to idle at 1700rpms.. "Not normal from what it used to" Drove it today to work and the car seems to drive fine but the AFR's are like pegging out the rich side "10.01-10.09" :cry: on idle and if i just barely touch gas pedal while driving... If i let off the gas pedal on decel the AFR's go to normal. When im cruising it will stay in the 12's... maybe jump to its normal 14.6-15.8 on occasion??? :dunno:
2. Has nothing to really do with it but my cars temperature gauge was reading lower than normal today?? Maybe i was just seeing things.
3. I put on an old alternator btw to test its functionality before i put my old one back on and my safc2 says that one is only doing 11v. I wouldn't think that would effect anything but again idk....

And yes i have AEM wideband and safc2.... used to run the 550's and lexus a year ago.
Also just got done last week with a 5-speed swap. :naughty:

If anyone can comment on this please do...
Appreciate the help!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, are you saying that this was happening with an alternator that only put out 11 volts?
If so, I'd wonder if the coils were getting full power. Also, I stay away from Champion spark plugs(and Bosch).
I've had best luck with NGK, Denso and Autolite's.

redzsupra

Jan 29, 2015
Alabama
Yes I was testing the alternator off a "parts" supra. I will change back to it tonight to see if it changes anything.
If it doesn't fix the problem i guess my next step is to put in old spark plugs "they still have some life" and see if the problem persists? If that fixes the problem then ill go get the NGK iridium or whatever there called.... just cant be running rich like this. Bound to mess something up.

A side note is I also had to gap the Champions myself to "Advanced auto parts computer specs" .032
Does this sound correct? Too much gap would cause a missfire correct? But i don't have any miss fires it just runs rough at higher rpms and super rich...

Awwww man... I also forgot last night to unhook battery so when i was changing the alternator its wire sparked like crazy after i pulled it off and it fell back to hit the alternator.... Hope i didnt short anything.. pretty sure (Coil packs, O2 sensor) were unplugged at this time.