New MAFTPro 5.03 Install questions

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
Just got everything hooked up and trying to get basic settings in place before I try to fire it up.
running 5.03 want to set up in speed density mode
LC1 wide band
GM 3 bar MAP and GM boost control solenoid (SupraSport kit)
CT-26 with 57 trim
3" defcon DP and 3" exhaust
FIPK
SSQV and stock BOV to atmosphere
91T Manual Trans
All wire splices are soldered - grounds from LC1 and MAFT Pro are connected to same place on chassis including a wire directly from engine block.

There are several settings scrolling trough the menus in 5.03 that aren't in the 4.4 manual like FE smooth, SPK Base...and is there a preferred VE table I should start with?

I have output 1 from the LC1 ran to the ECU to emulate a narrow band O2 to the ECU and placed a 1/4 watt 10 ohm resistor across the ECU's O2 heater circuit in hopes of avoiding the O2 code due to not seeing the heater circuit.

I also have 0.4V at TPS closed but only seeing 3.27 at WOT? Do I need to replace the TPS or any suggestions as to why I'm not seeing the anticipated 4.5V per the Quick Setup Supra 4.4?

Thanks for any and all advice

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
don't worry about the spark stuff.

use VE table 2, it's more for stock engines.

your TPS V looks about normal....you could certainly try adjusting it, but that seems to be about the average reading most see...

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
drjonez;1007800 said:
don't worry about the spark stuff.

use VE table 2, it's more for stock engines.

your TPS V looks about normal....you could certainly try adjusting it, but that seems to be about the average reading most see...

Thanks for the VE table tip; I guess I'm ready to turn the key then and see what happens :icon_bigg

Thanks for your knowledgeable contributions to the MAFT-Pro support as your active participation and support was the deciding factor in my choice of upgrading to this piggyback over many other considered options. With any luck I'll find enough time to learn enough about the system to actually contribute value added info in the not too distant future.

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
I'm very pleased with the ease of install and initial setup to good out-of-the-box drivability. I noticed spool is a bit slower but top end boost level appears to be much more stable. I suspect the slow spool is due to my conservative settings that I should be able to remedy by further experimentation with the gain setting.
I do have a new trouble code 24 that the shop manual says is air temp sensor signal. Is this due to the delay in the MAFT-Pro booting? Runs fine so I'm not overly concerned with it but I would appreciate any tips on eliminating the error code.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Supr91TT;1013440 said:
...I do have a new trouble code 24 that the shop manual says is air temp sensor signal. Is this due to the delay in the MAFT-Pro booting? Runs fine so I'm not overly concerned with it but I would appreciate any tips on eliminating the error code.

yup, that's the cause of that problem. you have 2 options- slap a resistor between THA and E2 or wire the MAFT pro's power source such that it powers up before the ECU....

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
drjonez;1013636 said:
yup, that's the cause of that problem. you have 2 options- slap a resistor between THA and E2 or wire the MAFT pro's power source such that it powers up before the ECU....

Resistor sounds easiest, is there a particular wattage and resistance I should use?

Thanks,
Rockey 91T

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just uploaded 5.00 yesterday and it seems to run great so far. I couldn't figure out how to install 5.03 though, how do you adjust the batch file to select 5.03 instead of 5.00?

Another question, how do you view log files inside of tunerpro with the graphs like you see when its streaming information? I exported them to excel to view them (which is pretty cool!)

Jon

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
GotTurbos?;1016957 said:
I just uploaded 5.00 yesterday and it seems to run great so far. I couldn't figure out how to install 5.03 though, how do you adjust the batch file to select 5.03 instead of 5.00?

Another question, how do you view log files inside of tunerpro with the graphs like you see when its streaming information? I exported them to excel to view them (which is pretty cool!)

Jon

I haven't gotten too far into Tuner Pro yet but this link http://www.mgnta.com/Documents/MAFTProSetup/Setup/
looked like a good place to start - which will be soon for me as well

hth,
Rockey 91T

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
GotTurbos?;1016957 said:
Another question, how do you view log files inside of tunerpro with the graphs like you see when its streaming information?
Jon

Go into the ALDL log setup screen from the menu, select the session you want to play, and hit the play arrow. It should start playing back on the graphs.

Bug workaround: If the session you want to play is already selected, select another session first, and then re-select the session you want. Otherwise it will replay the wrong session.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Supr91TT;1007785 said:
I have output 1 from the LC1 ran to the ECU to emulate a narrow band O2 to the ECU and placed a 1/4 watt 10 ohm resistor across the ECU's O2 heater circuit in hopes of avoiding the O2 code due to not seeing the heater circuit.

I also have 0.4V at TPS closed but only seeing 3.27 at WOT? Do I need to replace the TPS or any suggestions as to why I'm not seeing the anticipated 4.5V per the Quick Setup Supra 4.4?

Thanks for any and all advice

Did the 10 ohm resistor work for you?

A TPS value of 3.27 is normal. Nothing to worry about AFAIK.

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
there is a new software utility for updating the Pro, its called TPCU (Translator Pro Configuration Utility) it takes the place of the batch files. Its a windows program that lets you select the file and port to use.

It can also load and save BINs.

Grab it from the Full Throttle Tech board. Click

Bob

Supr91TT

supr91tt
Nov 18, 2007
Loganville, GA
JimR;1027271 said:
Did the 10 ohm resistor work for you?

A TPS value of 3.27 is normal. Nothing to worry about AFAIK.

I never got a response on what value resistor I should use and I'm not comfortable just trying stuff like that and risking damage unnecessarily.

I'll probably leave it be now anyway as the check engine light will be full time when I turn off the narrow band analog output to the stock ECU to activate the partial throttle tracking feature (assuming this is the correct process to activate PTT).

I sure am having a good time tuning with the MAFT-Pro. I worked my way up to 17psi without hitting fuel cut at WOT but I'm hitting fuel cut at part throttle at 14psi which is one of the reasons I'm delving into the PTT. Another possibility is a boost leak somewhere which I will verify before progressing further.

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
JimR;1027271 said:
Did the 10 ohm resistor work for you?...

BTW Jim what wattage is required?

Supr91TT;1036708 said:
I never got a response on what value resistor I should use and I'm not comfortable just trying stuff like that and risking damage unnecessarily.

Getting a resistor that matches the Resistance specified but has a larger wattage rating will not hurt you. The wattage is simply the amount of power tha resistor can handle as a normal load. A 1/8 Watt resistor wouldn't handle the power a 5 Watt resist could. A 5 Watt resistor is overkill IMO, even though I'm not familiar with the system. Just make sure it's 10 Ohms and you should be alright, a higher wattage/power handling capacity would be better than a lower one though.

See the difference below:

10 Ohm 1/2Watt
images

10 Ohm 5 Watt - See how it's much larger? (overkill)
images

nikwal

[Shitx0rZ DeluX]
Jan 20, 2009
Västerås
p= u2 /r , so if there is 5V (i'm not saying that it is just IF), in 10ohm it will be 2.5W
I=u/r , again IF 5V ,it'll be 0.5A, that seems like pretty high numbers for a sensor hehe..

Are you sure you dont mean 10k ?

Also found this..
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=96

seems tha only really need 10k to be "in range" (If it's not drawing current from another source)...

Of course it can hurt, I'd rather burn a 1/8 watt resistor if a 1/8 resistor is all that is needed, than an expensive piece of electronics.. otherwise, measure voltage and follow ohm's law..

Last edited: