NEW here please bare with me :) Clutch+ tranny issue

GT_Ridaz

Sep 18, 2009
Doha, Qatar
Hi,

I bought a 95 2jz-GE JDM Supra recently. It has a jdm GTE motor in it, a tripple disk HKS clutch. As per the previous owner when i asked him about the transmission, he said and i quote " I removed the stock tranny and installed a 1J tranny instead, there are 2 types of 1J transmissions, and this one is the Bigger and stronger 1j tranny" <----------- these were his words, so i guess he meant the R154 transmission, am i right??
Anyways, the tripple disk HKS clutch i have now is VERY very bad to drive during traffic. If i try to move fast from a stop, alot of times the car will stall. I have to release the clutch very slowly so the car wont stall, and it takes me along time to do so, which makes me hate the car now.I drove the car many times and it still stalls sometimes :((
Is a twin disk clutch better??
Please tell me what to do, i dont mind buying a new twin disk clutch if it will solve this issue. I need something very easy and friendly user and can hold about 400-500lbs of torque. And tell me which clutch kit , flywheel, Pressure plate will go with my transmission please.
Sorry for the long read

Thanks,
alex

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Keep the tripple disk and learn how to drive it...

As far as the trans thing...if the car was a 2jz-GE then no it didn't have a tripple disk hks clutch as the GE has a w58 trans that uses a push clutch system which cannot transfer over too a GTTE! He didn't swap transmissions as obviously the car came with the r154 turbo trans from the start...your clutch is worth BIG $$$$ so I can't see him installing it!

is300ss

Sep 18, 2009
Las Vegas
well...

I can say this.
when starting from a stop try the following. should make life easier for now.

rev a little higher that normal. like 1800.
then let the rpms drop as you slip it ALITTLE into full engagement. Alittle as in dont slip it for long. get it in gear and move on.
if you try and slip it as you push the gas down more(raising rpm/stayin at same rpm) its ruff and jittery. or you try and raise the rpms and slip it from a low rpm and then you stall.

hopefully that works for you for now.

so a clutch set up good for 400? or 500?
y do i ask? well cuz it makes all of the difference.

if your only gonna be pushing 400 than you can get away with using a nice little stage one ACT pressure plate and street clutch.

If you gonna be rolling around with 500 then you'll need... well something rated at a higher hp/trq capacity.

RPS makes very nice clutches and their pressure plates are something special. made in america as well :)
my buddy with an is300 single turbo 2jz aristo swap runs one rated at 550trq with a findanza aluminum flywheel. it feels very good. nice and smooth.

you don't sound like the type of person pulling as hard as they can in second gear whenever they get the chance
and no offense at all buddy, but you don't sound like a street racer either.

so I would say get an ACT stage 1 clutch kit. good quality, good price and good for 400hp.

then sell your hks clutch or keep it for a later date when you boost it up.

I have an R154 tranny.
all i have to say is that it has a very short throw for a stock trans and it just feels very solid.
You know while driving/riding in most manual transmission vehicles, lets say cruising in third gear.
when you accelerate the shifter move back a little bit and then when you let off (decelerate) the shifter move alittle bit foward way. i think it moves toward the rear of the car under accel and toward the front on decel if i remember correctly...
you'll find out why i cant remember right now :)

well my R154 does not do that at all!! usually you can feel the movement in most all manual trannys. some you can even see the front to back movement occur.
when i first drove my car i notice.... SOLID. no movement at all.
and once again the shift seems way short for a stock transmission.

aluminum flywheels are a cool mod cuz you can just feel it rev so much faster.
however... if you think driving in traffic with that 3 disc clutch is fun, try it with an aluminum flywheel haha.