New Guy from the NE

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Hello everyone! I recently purchased my 2nd MK3. I am extremely excited about this new project, and have used the forums for the past 2 years as a reference. The information has been great, but I think it's time for me to start participating in the supra community. Below is kind of a bio that describes my experiences thus far. If you would like to read on, please do. Otherwise I'll see you around.

I would like to start out with somewhat of a disclaimer that although I have some experience with working on cars (my father restores antique Porsches and muscle cars), I am by no means a gearhead and don't claim to always know what I'm talking about. I'm open to suggestions and criticism.

The first MK3 I had in high school about 10 years ago. The car was everything I ever wanted: targa top, fast, flip headlights, sporty etc etc. I enjoyed it for 2 years until the relationship ended with a blown motor, and I was forced to sell it to go to college. Although I had to sell, I was definitely in love.

Since having developed an infatuation with the Supra, I have recently bought a MK3 for my weekend warrior. This time, I wanted to get something I can take care of, and learn from (as far as modding goes).

Buying this car has confirmed how much of a love/hate relationship it can be to own an MK3 and here is the story. A year ago, I flew from NE down to SC to look at this MK3. It seemed as though it was in pristine condition. The owner was the original, was in his late 60's, and the car had 85k miles on it. The owner had the car serviced by Toyota and had EVERY service record. Buying this car seemed like it was a good choice.

Driving the car home (and I was driving very nicely), about the midway, 600 mile mark, the car suddenly got hot and nearly overheated. My fears started with this blown headgasket. I got the car home, had Toyota take a look at it to confirm the BHG. They discover that the headgaskett was recently replaced, and the head needed to be replaced due to improper resurfacing (the seller wasn't so honest after all). Then, they found out that the lower end had problems as well and the oil pan was caked with burnt oil. So instead of rebuilding, they recommended a crate motor. I got one through Jasper, the guys who do NASCAR engines etc. The first one came with problems, and had to be sent back for another motor. The 2nd motor seems to be fine. When I replaced the motor, I bought a 54 trim CT26 from some guys who do turbos down in TX, because the oil lines to the stock turbo were seized (spelling) and the turbine had play.

Since then I've done the following: Performance Mods Include: upgraded CT26 turbo at 54mm trim, cold air intake with K&N cone filter charger, 3" Stainless Direct Bolt On Divorced Turbo Downpipe, Random Technology 3" In/Out High Flow Cat, 3" HKS Turbo Dual Exhaust Pipe, Performance Brakes and OEM Rotors (waiting to be cross drilled).

Since putting in these mods, the car seems as though, and probably is running a little rich (on 93 octane). Also, at top end of second gear while accelerating, the engine will shut down and the engine light flashes on for a second and then resume (on stock turbo gauge, the needle is maxed at the top). I am not sure if this is a fuel cut or something else. But these issues I'll post in the tech section after I read it through for possible explanations.

-Interior Mods Include: Eclipse 3200 series deck, Alpine 400watt mono Amp, Alpine 240watt 4 channel Amp, Polk DB Series Component Speakers, additional DB 4 1/2" Polk rears, 12" JL audio Sub custom fit and built into the trunk

-Restoration so far: side and rear trim, JDM tail lights, JDM bronze tint windshield with trim.

Just this summer, I noticed underneath the body where the rear right tire suspension connects, a hole appeared about the size of a quarter. I had planned on fixing it over the winter and just continued to drive it for the rest of the summer. On going to fix it, i discovered the hole had turned into a crack all along the underbody across to near where the exhaust is. Now I am looking to rebuild that part of the body.

The moral of the story is that I have my hands full with this car and plan on taking good care of it. And I'm looking forward to collaborating with you all and perhaps running into you at meets.

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Welcome!! What part of NH are you from? I live in CT but my whole family live in NH so I'm up there alot(like right now lol). If you ever need help or wanna go for a cruise shoot me a pm. I don't recomend a cross drill of oem rotors. You may weaken them to the point that they crack. I could be wrong though;) good luck on your second supra adventure. And don't hesitate to pm me if you ever need help. If I am available I work cheap...beer and pizza!! Ohh and PICS!!
Joshua

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Here is a pic from last summer, the day I picked it up. I'll take some with a digi cam and get some up maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

• My baby.jpg
    My baby.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 8

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow. I just read your entire write up, pretty good story hahah. Your Supra looks really nice and clean. Well, welcome to SM, you'll really like it here.