New diesel guy from Ohio

JD3020

Aug 5, 2014
Farmersville, Ohio
Hey i'm Jimmy, 20 years old, and new to this whole gas turbo thing. Currently a diesel truck guy, always have been, and always will be. Bought my truck when i turned 16 and i've been wrenching on it ever since. I do all my own maintenance and work, as well as my own tuning. Actually in the middle of a "build" right now, with the parts to make 600+hp in a 6k lb truck. But between the cost of fuel and parts, and the heat the diesel world is currently taking i'm leaning towards bailing out from the build. Wanting something with a lot of potential and a good aftermarket, along with good looks, so i'm leaning towards a mk3 Supra. Just going to have a HUGE learning curve going from a 7.3l V8 diesel down to a little straight 6.

For those not familiar with diesel trucks here's a little breakdown of what i deal with. $120+ oil change every 3k miles, my truck gets 14mpg's and diesel is usually 50 cents more than gas, tires are $800+ a set every 30-40k, injectors are $1500+ a set and in my 7.3 take 6 hours to replace. Hell for my current build i still want/need head studs($600), headers($1500), cam ($600), throw in another $600 to build a good fuel system, and close to $1k to build a set of heavy driveshafts for it. My turbo mount alone was $700, and it didn't come with any oil lines or anything. Just up-pipes and a pedestal to hold the turbo up. At the end of the day it should be a 600hp truck, but being on a stock bottom end its not the most reliable thing. If i want billet rods and custom pistons thats another $3000 before any sort of labor or machining. Then of course it needs a $5k auto transmission, or a $2k competition dual disc clutch to hold it all. :aigo: And don't even get started on working on it. I've put an engine and transmission in my truck, along with replacing almost everything on the engine both on a stand and in the truck. The engine weighs 1100lbs fully dressed and barely fits in the engine bay. The transmission and t-case weigh several hundred pounds. The turbo is shoved into the firewall and took me 4 hours to replace last time.

Typing this all out makes me wonder why i've even bought and started to build a second diesel. LOL Anyways heres some of my truck, sitting somewhere in the 375rwhp range(limited by the stock turbo) and weighs 7500lbs.

red.jpg

Short run trying out one of the first tunes i wrote last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_mEUNHJ_I

Some sled pulling i did a few weeks ago, basically trying to pull a LOT of weight as far as possible. This is a big money hobby, competitive turbo's alone for trucks start in the $3k range. I got 3rd that night and won $25, which is what it cost to enter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pWh8K8Azes