New Alpine HU+ 2001 Cadillac

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
For my daily driver im cruising the 2001 Cadillac Deville and for the Birthday i got an Alpine iDA-X100. Because when i baught the car i vowed i wouldnt do any work on it to keep myself from messing up something more expensive than i wanted to pay for, i had it installed by an installer. When it was finished there were some problems i wanted to see if any of you guys have run into before when installing a deck.

Problem #1. HU will randomly shut off and turn back on. It will almost always happen once if not more times per car trip, and the time it taked to turn back on can be between a few seconds to minutes.

Problem #2. Check theft system will come on and off in the same manner as the HU, Not at the same time though.

...Im thinking i could have the local Cadillac Dealer plug in his obd-2 plug and clear the code. but im not sure if it would show a code, or if it would clear one or both of the above problems...

Problem #3. Front left tweeter has signal noise from the Engine. Have you guys heard of that happening from a deck install? I know it can happen when you do a seperate amp install, but not from just a HU install. Installer said he went back and installed a seperate Ground and a dedicated power wire from the battery, but the signal noise was still there.

If you guys have any ideas let me know. i want to check out the shutting off thing myself with a voltometer to see if the power drops out or if its the deck...but installer said it voids warranty if i even pull the deck out of the dash.

Im thinking of taking it around to the only other audio shop in town and maybe having them look at it. But figured id see if anyones had theses experiences before.

-Bryan

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
if you had it installed by someone i would take it back and say fix it. I have worked at a few stereo shops so I know if they are worth a damn they will stand behind there work. And how can removing it void the warranty, they have no way of telling if it was.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Yeah I need to. Today it started to make those "Your door is open" chimes for about two miles. I think I just needed to rant. He was saying it will void the warranty cause the car has two main ecus, and the way they communicate was through the stereo, so a new radio will mess up how they communicate? BS? Probably cause if so why could circuit ciy sell me all the parts and pieces for me to install myself? He said if done wrong theres a chance the airbags wont deplo or the ABS wont activate when needed.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Circuit city huh? I work there too. The only radios that communicate with the ECU are in the new GM vehicles. 2001 and up. You wont void the warranty from pulling the radio, but you will most likely tick the installer off and make him think that you caused the problem. Take it back and say you have a problem and they should fix it no problem. Or if you would like i could pull up the complete wiring diagram for the can and you could fix it your self if you wish...

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
pbasil1;1050555 said:
The only radios that communicate with the ECU are in the new GM vehicles. 2001 and up.

Soooooo........ like a 2001 Cadillac. :slap:

I would take it back, and get them to fix it, at no cost, as it's their fault it's not working. However, they'll likely not be able to fix it. IMO, chain store installers are HORRIBLE. I would ask for a partial refund, and take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
If they installed it the right way, the old radio should be relocated and removing the new hu wouldnt effect nothing. The install harnesses for those systems are like giant t-harnesses, when we did those kinda cars, we just put the old radios in the trunk behind panels.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I've been hearing more and more about having the old radio in the trunk and having it basically T-splicing in new radio. But sure as shit, as i type this out the old radio is sitting right next to me in the apartment. It wasnt circuit city however, its a local store and not chained. I complained to them and for the second time he said he will have me bring it in and drop it off and take a look at it to see what he can do.

Yet right now im content with a malfunctioning radio, i just fixed the driver window on the car and saved around $550 by doing it myself and rigging it with pipe clamps. So my dismay about the radio is taking a break.

I am still wondering if taking it to the Caddy dealer to have them clear trouble codes on it might reset the 'check theft system' codes, and perhaps solve the shutting off of the new HU.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
i've heard about that. where you can do some absolute oddball combinations of imputs from the breaks or turn signals and such and it can reset certain things or control certain features. I think i'll try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so to see if that might reset the car ecu

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I'm not going to read what anyone else said, so if I am repeating someone: sorry.

problem 1 sounds like a poor power source or ground

problem 2 sounds like they did not use the correct interface. GM radios route many data functions through their radios. Instead of having to relocate the radio to retain said data functions, many companies have produced interface modules that retain the functions in a box the size of a package of cigarettes. Could also be related to problem 1

problem 3 i'm not sure on. does this car have a bose system? do any cadillacs not?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I'm not going to read what anyone else said, so if I am repeating someone: sorry.

--that what i thought. i went back in and the installer ran a direct source from the battery to the HU and a Ground to the kickpanel. Maybe its the Deck itself?

problem 2 sounds like they did not use the correct interface. GM radios route many data functions through their radios. Instead of having to relocate the radio to retain said data functions, many companies have produced interface modules that retain the functions in a box the size of a package of cigarettes. Could also be related to problem 1

---If i remember correct its a Metra GM 06 something something. Moral of the story it cost about $130...there better be a complete computer in those wires for that price.

problem 3 i'm not sure on. does this car have a bose system? do any cadillacs not?

---Yes. They do come with out it. i had the pleasure of listening to a non bose system made by AC Delco...IIRC

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
FullNelson;1054103 said:

--that what i thought. i went back in and the installer ran a direct source from the battery to the HU and a Ground to the kickpanel. Maybe its the Deck itself?

That's wierd. He ran a ground litterally to your kick panel and a power to your batter? That's wierd. Its unusual an installer would take the time required to do that.
FullNelson;1054103 said:

---If i remember correct its a Metra GM 06 something something. Moral of the story it cost about $130...there better be a complete computer in those wires for that price.
Yes, they're stupid expensive. Find out the exact part number for me. Those boxes should negate the need to run sperate power/ground

FullNelson;1054103 said:

---Yes. They do come with out it. i had the pleasure of listening to a non bose system made by AC Delco...IIRC

The issue could be the module then.

Often times GM will have the door chime routed through the radio, and it will sound the drivers front speaker. The module replicates this by putting itself inline between the drives speaker and the deck. If there is an issue with the module, well.....

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Yes the Gmos's are very expensive... So for those with new GM vehicles and need one, let me know as i get them discounted where i work.