Need some advice with roommate trouble

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
CyFi6;1797317 said:
I'm not so sure about that one. I hear they are very quick to get the law involved and sue for not only the related fines and rent, but also for any court fees etc, so in the end they come out on top and I come out losing lots of money and a strike on my record. I have lived at this place for about 3 years now and I have noticed the management slowly get worse and worse. Honestly, I rarely need anything from them, all they require is that the rent be paid, and as long as I do that I get everything I need- a roof over my head and decent amenities. The real issue here is the roommate, but the fact that they are unwilling to go out of their way to help is really not a huge surprise to me, if they did this for everyone with a complaint they would lose a lot of money in the end (not saying I agree with the way they are running their business, but after all, they are only concerned about money.
Winning in court isn't the end of their problems. Then they are faced with the very real problem of actually collecting. Look at it in terms of statistics...

If they have 1000 renters, what percentage of those have problems? If it's half, then there are 500 problems. Of those, say half resolve things themselves. That still leaves 250 problems they have to deal with. Say they evict and fine all of those... what percentage will pay up and walk away? Not very many, or they wouldn't be in this spot... so lets say they are still left with 200 problems. They sue these, and win in every case - which isn't actually that likely. Now how many of those 200 will pay up and walk away? Likely none... because if this was an option, they would have paid before getting to this point. So, they have won 200 cases in court, but they don't actually have any money from this, the vast majority of this 'income' will be referred to collection agencies, who take another cut IF they even manage to collect anything. Add in the fact that they still have to pay for their lawyers. How many of these will eventually be collected? How many will take the hit on their credit record instead? How many will outright go bankrupt?

Now they are looking at a situation where they have paid out a lot of money and stand to gain very little. That's a great gig if you can get it, works for the government, but not so much in the real world.

Suing your customers only works if you have an infinite supply of customers, despite what the RIAA seems to think.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying they won't sue you. I'm saying it would be stupid to do so, however, I've found that there's more than a fair share of stupid out there.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
GrimJack;1797384 said:
Winning in court isn't the end of their problems. Then they are faced with the very real problem of actually collecting. Look at it in terms of statistics...

If they have 1000 renters, what percentage of those have problems? If it's half, then there are 500 problems. Of those, say half resolve things themselves. That still leaves 250 problems they have to deal with. Say they evict and fine all of those... what percentage will pay up and walk away? Not very many, or they wouldn't be in this spot... so lets say they are still left with 200 problems. They sue these, and win in every case - which isn't actually that likely. Now how many of those 200 will pay up and walk away? Likely none... because if this was an option, they would have paid before getting to this point. So, they have won 200 cases in court, but they don't actually have any money from this, the vast majority of this 'income' will be referred to collection agencies, who take another cut IF they even manage to collect anything. Add in the fact that they still have to pay for their lawyers. How many of these will eventually be collected? How many will take the hit on their credit record instead? How many will outright go bankrupt?

Now they are looking at a situation where they have paid out a lot of money and stand to gain very little. That's a great gig if you can get it, works for the government, but not so much in the real world.

Suing your customers only works if you have an infinite supply of customers, despite what the RIAA seems to think.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying they won't sue you. I'm saying it would be stupid to do so, however, I've found that there's more than a fair share of stupid out there.

I see what you are saying now.

mnracer550;1797400 said:
not sure where you are in phoenix but i know the MMI/UTI students are always looking for places. post on CL for them maybe.
Every roommate I have had has been a UTI student. I have posted bulletins already for UTI students but every UTI roommate has been a disaster lol. I suppose still better than a craigslist creep.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have to say I side with the management on this. While it would be nice if they helped out, it's not their job. It's not their responsibility and it's not in their best interest to get involved with that sort of thing. But, sounds like they wont throw a fit if you swap roommates. That in itself is a win for you. Congrats. :)

Now, you need to review your lease document and make sure you follow it to a tee and get yourself a new roommate. Preferably one who you can somehow trust to not run out on you, but that's always tough when they're a stranger.

Grim: Since CyFi actually cares about his credit and such, he can't just walk out of the apartment. That's like financial suicide. And the apartment can and will come after him for every penny. And they'll get exactly what they're entitled to one way or another. Walking out may work for the person who doesn't give a shit and who views credit as a way to buy more things you can't afford, but to an honest person, at least in the states, maintaining your credit is a priority and walking out on court ordered payments means possible garnered wages, credit rating BOMBING, bankruptcy, etc... All around bad news.

Good luck! I've always had good luck with roommates, but I've been bitten by a landlord. A landlord who's house I never even lived in. Ugh. Anyways, READ YOUR LEASE and follow it exactly. If the douche that ran out on you is a decent person, they'll hold up their end of the bargain and help find a replacement. However, I wouldn't count on it and instead plan on soliciting a new roomie. Maybe a hot 21 year old chick with some tats and a steady job? ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Cy, if you look at graduate rates versus enrollments at MMI and UTI, you should be able to figure out that they're not exactly the most dedicated and determined people...

I believe what Clint meant by making an idle threat toward your former (current?) roommate, you seem to have already done by bringing up legal action. Allow me to share a bit of info though... cops don't always give two shits about situations like this. I had a kid steal my car (rather, he stole it, I didn't give permission or ask for that to happen) a couple years back. Cops basically tried to turn the situation around on me and wouldn't prosecute him, all because I knew where the car was. Doesn't change the fact that it was taken... your landlords aren't likely to care that you don't have a roommate, just that you don't waste their time and pay up.

Try on AZSC, they're a pretty good group of people, you might get lucky.