Need smart mk3 supra ppl input on value

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
We have a 1985 Red Toyota Corolla GT-S 5spd coupe. It has factory bluetop 4age 44k miles on it engine from factory,matches VIN!! Its kept in a temprature controlled storage unit with no windows
. It has factory everything inteior exteior literally everything all manuals and paperwork. Im curious just to see what the value of it actually is because we all love AE86's but when do we see
one in great condition. Please tell me what you think both the general value of the car is and how much drifter and JDM fanboys would pay for it. BTW not for sale sry haha. just wanted to see you smart mk3 supra guys input because you know 80s toyotas value and history well.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I don't know them too well, but when I was looking at getting an AE86, I couldn't touch one for under 5K in fair condition. The car won't be worth much to the average person, maybe 3K. That's somebody looking for a car that drives, gets good milage, reliability, etc., has no interest in the true potential. There are plenty of enthusiasts however, and to them, an AE86 in perfct shape might pull 12K or better. I have seen good condition ones go for 10K before, so this osunds reasonable. And as a disclaimer, this is mostly a SWAG. Also, this should probably be in the OT section for other cars.
-AM3

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I wouldn't sit too long on it if I were you. Import car value tends to follow trends very strongly. Those cars were at their most popular two years ago and now the nissans are coming up strong. I would expect that now is when you're going to get the most for it, before something else becomes the popular car people want like an all trac or FD's etc.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
87M-GTE;1828988 said:
Keep it. forever.

Pics?
This. Toyota doesn't make them like they used to. That car will likely outlive you if you keep up on the maintenance. ;)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Maple191;1829172 said:
Step 1 keep AE86. Step 2 put in 7M-GTE. Step 3 ?????? Step 4 :evil2: PROFIT!!!

Why would you ruin the near 50/50 weight balance with a giant cast iron straight six in the front...

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Have you seen any videos of how insane the 7M or any other Inline 6 that toyota makes can do with this car. All torque and half the weight of a MK3. Like I stated before Step 4:evil2: PROFIT!!!!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What's the profit? More money would be spent fixing the 7m and more down time then just cruising in the reliable 4cyl.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
While a 7m is one of (if not the) best sounding motors in my opinion, if I had one of these, I'd be looking for an old Mikuni setup. 4 carbs, header, 8000+rpm in stock form... oh yeah.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
te72;1829006 said:
This. Toyota doesn't make them like they used to. That car will likely outlive you if you keep up on the maintenance. ;)

true story. my 86 mr2 had almost 500,000 before the car rusted away from under the motor. the 4ag is one tough ass lil motor.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
hvyman;1829213 said:
What's the profit?
Power to weight ratio. Why do you think all those little pocket rice rocket civics and other cars are fast. Light weight bodys with engines that produce more power then they'll ever need. Take what the car weighs from factory work out its Torque to weight ratio 1047 kg / 97 lb·ft... So that would be for every 1lb.ft for 10.8kg this would be out base line. Then add the difference a 7M or any 1jz or 2jz to the original weight and do work out that formula of Torque to weight lets 254 lb·ft from an 89+ engine and lets say an extra 100kgs that would bring it to 1147kg now lets do that input. 1147 kg / 254 lb.ft = 1lb.ft for every 4.52kg. This means the vehicle theoreticaly would accelerate faster and through you into your seat. Now I'll admit I dont know at what RPM range eithter engines produce what power and where but my money is leaning on the 7M.

BTW specs are from Wiki.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Power is all fine and well and all, but sometimes man, there is more to a car than sheer numbers. Balance is something that can't really be quantified. I traded my old 2000 Miata with GS-D3's on it for a 2001 Camaro SS. The Camaro was stupid fast out of the corners (thank you torque) and on the highway, but the Miata was a LOT more fun overall. If all you're looking for is a straight line monster, there are easier, and better cars to do that with. Tearing into a good condition 86 (given the relative rarity of such a car these days) just strikes me as a poor candidate for a swap. Something else to consider is that along with increasing torque, you increase stress. How long do you think that little 86's diff and axles is going to like triple or more the stock torque?

Now, a beat 86 that's seen better days, but won't likely see any more of them? By all means, grab that swap hammer. ;)

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
That is all and true. But when the O.P. comes onto Supra formus and asks for MKIII owners for input on a AE86, you'll get a MKIII answer. If this was the Supraforums they would of have said "1j it or 2j it end of story bro."

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Maple191;1829917 said:
That is all and true. But when the O.P. comes onto Supra formus and asks for MKIII owners for input on a AE86, you'll get a MKIII answer. If this was the Supraforums they would of have said "1j it or 2j it end of story bro."
Generally I am one to have the opinion that horsepower is like cocaine, there is no such thing as too much...

However, if it ruins the balance of the car, AND it's done on a nice car to begin with? That's just a shame.