Need help to build efficient reliable daily HP in a 1JZ

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Im starting to get to the point of starting and breaking in my 1jz motor and already started piecing my parts together to go single and make 470-520 whp, so first things first i already have a a Haltech PS2000 ecu system and was looking for some other parts to get to make this build as efficient and reliable as possible.

I have done some research and have seen some people running into spark blowout with the stock coils, so my idea is to go ahead and get some LS2 truck coils and run all 6 direct fire with the haltech, i have looked but i havn't seen anyone who makes a bracket for them on the 1JZ so could anyone could direct me to a place that does or advise on using another set of COP set up that is already out there.

Next im looking to get an automotive 400LPH with 80lb/850cc injectors so i can run e85 at those power levels to stave off detonation at while on the track then running 93 while on the road to hopefully return decent gas mileage.

I already have a big rad coming in with dual mishmoto fans and shroud and still have the BMW AUX pusher fan in front and going to get a bigger oil cooler soon so cooling shouldn't be an issue

I have decided to go with 2JZ cams for DD reasons and thinking about getting adjustable cam gears to get some overlap to produce more power without boost but i havent seen anyone adjust 2JZ cams on a 1JZ yet so im not sure.

I also want to go with a exhaust mounted crank case vent system to produce vacuum and improve efficiency of the motor but it shouldn't be enough to start creating damage

My main goal is to create a great mid to high range puncher that can be used everyday without a rebuild every 30k miles, the turbo im using is an PT6163 that i think should do the trick but have a feeling it might start to choke over the 500 hp range.

So just wanted to bounce some of these ideas off some of you who have ventured before me and if you could give me some tips or advice on what to do and not do. Also if you could help me find place to get all these pieces (mainly the LS2 brackets for the 1JZ)

PS. can anyone tell me what good realistic HP i can expect out of this motor on pump gas because im seeing big differences in number (from 450 all the way to 600 pump)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
JAMDUN17;1802814 said:
I have done some research and have seen some people running into spark blowout with the stock coils, so my idea is to go ahead and get some LS2 truck coils and run all 6 direct fire with the haltech, i have looked but i havn't seen anyone who makes a bracket for them on the 1JZ so could anyone could direct me to a place that does or advise on using another set of COP set up that is already out there.

Run the 1ZZ Coils. They are Toyota Smart Coils and do not require an igniter. They also fit unfer the stock center piece and Albert can make you a bracket. Albert is his username as well as his name.

Look here for more info on the coil setup.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?646910-1ZZ-FE-Ignition-Coil-Install

JAMDUN17;1802814 said:
I already have a big rad coming in with dual mishmoto fans and shroud and still have the BMW AUX pusher fan in front and going to get a bigger oil cooler soon so cooling shouldn't be an issue

Which radiator? You can get a Koyo and use a 2JZ-GTE clutch and 2JZ-GE blade and retain the stock clutch system that will flow more than enough air without stressing your electrical system.

JAMDUN17;1802814 said:
I have decided to go with 2JZ cams for DD reasons and thinking about getting adjustable cam gears to get some overlap to produce more power without boost but i havent seen anyone adjust 2JZ cams on a 1JZ yet so im not sure.
BC offers 264 cams that have really good driveability. I believe Brad, TE72, has a set. Hopefully he will chime in here.

JAMDUN17;1802814 said:
I also want to go with a exhaust mounted crank case vent system to produce vacuum and improve efficiency of the motor but it shouldn't be enough to start creating damage

I sell catch cans that will vent your system and keep the intercooler and intake oil free.

JAMDUN17;1802814 said:
My main goal is to create a great mid to high range puncher that can be used everyday without a rebuild every 30k miles, the turbo im using is an PT6163 that i think should do the trick but have a feeling it might start to choke over the 500 hp range.

A 6262 will make enough power and it will not choke the motor past 500. It is a very friendly 1JZ turbo. 450 on pump is doable, maybe even 500 but anything higher would require race gas or E-85.

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Thanks for the quick response, seems like the 1ZZ would be the cleanest set up.
I went with a mishimoto radiator as well, i dont have a large amount of space so i doubt i can use the fan since the radiator is bigger then the stock one (the motor is in an E36 M3).
Ill have to pass on the catch can though, just going to have it all burn up in the exhaust since FL isnt a place i need to worry about emissions but your fuel rail is something i might be interested in.

Anyone use a QSV on a 6262 with good results ? also any advantages to going with those eBay (the one with the velocity stacks) intake plenum ?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Dude, sweet swap!

The 1ZZ is a very clean setup. I suggest you use it.

That BMW fan will flow a lot and I am not sure but I believe the E36 cam with a fan clutch, no? If you will use the BMW electric fan from the new E9x chassis line, it is going to flow a lot of air.

The catch can would be a good idea but you don't want exhaust fumes running to your crankcase BUT if you will just dump it to the exhaust make sure to run a check valve to avoid any flow from the exhaust into the crankcase. I am not exactly sure on how the venting to the exhaust would work but maybe someone else can shine some light on this as I always use my can with a vacuum source.

Let me know about the fuel rail and what you need.

The QSV would work wonders on the 6262, it spools my 67MM really quick. I have 10PSI at about 3100-3200 and that is operating off just the QSV wastegate. When I put the solenoid on the boost will come on earlier as it keeps the valve locked until the boost pressure is reached instead of gradually opening it.

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
IBoughtASupra;1802920 said:
Dude, sweet swap!

The 1ZZ is a very clean setup. I suggest you use it.

That BMW fan will flow a lot and I am not sure but I believe the E36 cam with a fan clutch, no? If you will use the BMW electric fan from the new E9x chassis line, it is going to flow a lot of air.

The catch can would be a good idea but you don't want exhaust fumes running to your crankcase BUT if you will just dump it to the exhaust make sure to run a check valve to avoid any flow from the exhaust into the crankcase. I am not exactly sure on how the venting to the exhaust would work but maybe someone else can shine some light on this as I always use my can with a vacuum source.

Let me know about the fuel rail and what you need.

The QSV would work wonders on the 6262, it spools my 67MM really quick. I have 10PSI at about 3100-3200 and that is operating off just the QSV wastegate. When I put the solenoid on the boost will come on earlier as it keeps the valve locked until the boost pressure is reached instead of gradually opening it.
Nice I'm glad to hear that it works so well, should do wonders on a pt62 then. Thanks for the help

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Sam,

Ofcourse I am a fan of everything JZ. He seemed to want to make things simpler and run smart coils, so that would be out of the stock coils range as they use an igniter.

The 1ZZ are smart coils.

If I could run the 1ZZ coils, I would, as it makes everything much cleaner and have been proven to run 800+RWHP with a .030 gap without blow out and without a DLI. :)

That's pretty darn good. I have yet to see them pushed past 1000 BUT at this rate, I am confident it's doable.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'd recommend staying with stock coils and shrink wrapping them with plugs gapped at .28, at least until he sees what's up with them.

as said, folks don't do much more than 450-500whp on pump, and the stock coils laugh at that number the majority of the time (unless they need to be replaced, at which time 1ZZ coils would be a decent option if using standalone).

JAMDUN17

Aug 1, 2011
Germantown MD
Dylan JZ;1804061 said:
I'd recommend staying with stock coils and shrink wrapping them with plugs gapped at .28, at least until he sees what's up with them.

as said, folks don't do much more than 450-500whp on pump, and the stock coils laugh at that number the majority of the time (unless they need to be replaced, at which time 1ZZ coils would be a decent option if using standalone).

Looking for the simplicity of smart coils basically like iboughtasupra said, and with less wires and no more ignitor i can reduce my fail points as well. I will be getting a flying lead harness from haltech soon so it will also make things easier to wire directly to the coil pack instead of to an ignitor and so on.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I'm glad I went 1ZZ. No more hiccups, larger plug gap, more powerful spark. 1ZZ coils cost less than a DLI setup for stock coils, too.

It was one of the best upgrades I ever did.