Need help choosing a turbo!

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
As the title says, I need some help/guidence on choosing a turbo. This is my first experience with a turbocharged car and I want to aim for 500WHP and more. So, since I dont know too much about choosing a turbo, I figured I would ask some of you turbo gurus.

What would be the best turbocharge to help me reach my goal and above?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
First, you need to get your engine and car in order.

An almost 20 year old car and engine, will not like the higher boost levels needed to get into the 500's.

After you have the car and engine in order, you'll need fuel.

Once you have fuel accounted for, you need to think about brakes.

(This is all like the book, If you Give a Mouse a Cookie.)

Once you have brakes, then you'll need to think about ECU management.

Once you....

Get the idea?

Long story short, and GT35R will fit your needs. You'll pay out the butt hole for it too.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Holset HX35 or HY35 will do that too, and you can use it on the stock manifold with the use of a CT26 - T3 adapter (can find on ebay). All you need to sort out after that is downpipe, fuel, brakes, engine management, and probably would be a good idea to upgrade your intercooler setup

you already said that you're going to be building up your bottom end.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Lipp BOSS Sr. GTS 60-1 with Triple Ceramic Ball Bearing center section will get the job done also. Bolts onto factory manifold and downpipe / turbo elbow. Fitment is excellent, and I couldn't be happier with it.

One thing to remember when going with this largo of a turbo / hp numbers, there IS lag. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have told my self the same thing what you are also saying "500+ hp" and went with a smaller turbo where the lag in much less. With the lag there are several moments when your yelling at the windshield, " come on, spool up already". But once it dose hold on for dear life. If not careful 3rd and some times 4th gear at 70+mph the car will kick out side ways and spin you into a world of pissed off-ness that you don't want to go into.

p1641856_1.jpg

p1641856_2.jpg

2JZ_MA70

Aug 28, 2007
Cleveland
If your loking for the best spool and power combination... Forced performance 3076... 500 on 20-25psi... Precision Turbos makes some kick ass combinations also..

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
Thank you for all the great information fellas! I'll have to sit down and look at all these recommended turbos and see which one would fit my needs :)

Yes, the bottom end is getting completely rebuild. Head is also getting sent out.

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
I am starting to look at the Precision 6262. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this specific turbo? I was looking on YouTube and people are pulling off 500WHP and and even 640WHP.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There awesome turbos. The non billet ones are 899$ an the billet ball bearings are like 1500+$. Non billet will get you there plus some.

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
What RPM range would the 6262 and 6765 spool at?

Precision Turbo PTE Billed 6262 (Journal Bearing)
Precision Turbo PTE Billed 6262 (Ball Bearing)

Precision Turbo PTE Billed 6765 (Journal Bearing)
Precision Turbo PTE Billed 6765 (Ball Bearing)

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
92nsx;1641856 said:
Lipp BOSS Sr. GTS 60-1 with Triple Ceramic Ball Bearing center section will get the job done also. Bolts onto factory manifold and downpipe / turbo elbow. Fitment is excellent, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I will concur on the Boss Jr. I know of all the complaints of SupraSport, and their "failure to communicate", but my product from them is very good. In fact, all the products of theirs that I have gotten are very good. The Boss Jr wasn't meant for 500 hp. Keep that in mind, but meant as a more reliable and powerful upgraded CT26. Their T04E Sr line will do it, and it is bolt on. Get the intsall kit while you are at it. Go to the turbo review for issues I had.