Need help ASAP please

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I have a 91 metro xfi. Its a Tbi engine. 3 cylinder 1.0

OK, so here is my problem....I started the car up and it started fine. So I took off down the road and it started idling very high and missing. The car ended up dying and wouldnt start back up. After letting it sit for a little while it started up, idle really high and when revved it would miss. The car does not like to run very well (meaning driving). It idles very high and has a miss. I have no idea where to start to look. Please help me. This is my dd, so I have nothing to drive now.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Really stupid question - does it have fuel in it? (Running out of gas sounds like that sometimes...) Lean running causes high idle and misfire.

Clogged fuel pump or filter?

Barring that, start looking for an unmetered air leak.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
OK, so I went outside in the snow (-__-) and started looking around a little. And noticed that my throttle cable had came unhooked so to speak. The end of it was still attached but it was no longer pulled tight around the bracket.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Well I ended up taking the manifold and throttle body and all those goods off to clean them. I found that ALL the egr passages were clogged to the point where air/suction could no longer take place. And also found that the fpr was done for.

I replaced all the coolant lines/vac lines/ fuel lines and put everything back on the car. It now runs like a champ. My geo may be a load of rust and crap. But I really do enjoy the car just for the simple fact that it saves me SOO much money.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Pretty common for the EGR to clog and burn a valve from doing so on those engines. As much as I hate those damn cars (most uncomfortable seats ever), the suspension is actually pretty damn nice and then can be thrown through corners far quicker than people expect :)