Need best options for this wiring harness

dvanhouten

Dec 19, 2012
Fairfax, VA
As we all know new harnesses aren't available and finding a good used one has proved fruitless up to this point. Just acquired a 90 Turbo and know it's going to be a project, but I need to know best options for this disaster, see pic. Should anyone know of a good, competent mechanic for this job in Northern Virginia please pass that along.

Thanks

100MEDIA95IMAG0381.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
for starters you can take the pink things off and fix the wires.

Also drtweak sells new harness made by him for 1k. Can pm him for details.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
+1 on fixing the wires. If you're willing to put the time in you can get decent quality wire and just remove one stand at a time from the main harness and replace it. Depending on how good you are at soldering you can actually carefully replace damaged strands and heat shrink over the quality solder joints. If you want real high quality results you can crimp a non insulated connector over wire joints and fill the connector with solder. Zinc-aluminum solder works best for corrosion resistance but you can also use rosin core solder and use weather proof heat shrink. The biggest things to identify would be brittle wiring, crumbling insulation, and lack of continuity. Speaking of which a high quality auto ranging multimeter would be crucial for measuring resistance across points in the harness to check for loose plugs, cold solder joints etc. Search for some of the posts on wiring by drtweak, hvyman, poodles, and especially jetjock.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
stolensupra;1901998 said:
+1 on fixing the wires. If you're willing to put the time in you can get decent quality wire and just remove one stand at a time from the main harness and replace it. Depending on how good you are at soldering you can actually carefully replace damaged strands and heat shrink over the quality solder joints. If you want real high quality results you can crimp a non insulated connector over wire joints and fill the connector with solder. Zinc-aluminum solder works best for corrosion resistance but you can also use rosin core solder and use weather proof heat shrink. The biggest things to identify would be brittle wiring, crumbling insulation, and lack of continuity. Speaking of which a high quality auto ranging multimeter would be crucial for measuring resistance across points in the harness to check for loose plugs, cold solder joints etc. Search for some of the posts on wiring by drtweak, hvyman, poodles, and especially jetjock.

Yup +2 on this.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If needed, new wire, open barrel splices, heat shrink. Easy fix. You just need a decent crimper for non insulated, open barrel terminals.

Personally I wouldn't solder on any part of an engine harness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1902880 said:
Has to be that way. My lawn dart has a low tolerance for shoddy work.

Field artillery will lawn dart when the load is dropped (accidentally) from the bird. Or so I have been told.