Need advice 60-1 T66 comp wheel

MKIII TURBO60-1

Dec 29, 2008
Ocala,Fl
Okay we rebuilding my motor, shot peened rods, brand new .20 pistons, going to get the head and block decked so either going with a 1.0 mm or 1.2 mm head gasket, anyways im going to be running a turbonetics 60-1 with t66 comp wheel and im going to go get tuned with an aem fic unit and wondering how hard i could run my motor safely on pump gas 93oct. Mostly worried becuz i do not have a way of montering knock. I would like to make mid to low 400rwhp but thats not important i just want to know a set psi that is safe so i can just set it at that and whatever it makes at said psi is just what it makes. Thanks, Alvin

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
What makes you think you'll need a 1.0mm or 1.2mm head gasket? You may need to take that serious and do the calculations for compression first before guessing.
If i was to take a guess after both the head and block getting decked plus the 20 thou over pistons it would be around the 2.0mm h/gasket mark but that is only a very rough guess as i have no idea if your head or block has already been decked before.
How much boost if everything is working well on your motor is all in the tune, the tuner on the dyno will monitor any detonation.
Next to no boost is safe if your tune is bad.!
(Next time a bit more info such as fuel mods e.t.c, it's all a little vague)

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Its all in the tune bro. Keep your afr 's in the low 11's and you ll be good. As for as your statement about the head gasket goes. You need to have the shop measure the Head and Block to see how much has been taken off. RICH one of the Vendors here sell a variety of MHG up to a 2.4 mm for under $200. Just do a little research on the stock height of the Head and block and go from there...GOOD LUCK

MKIII TURBO60-1

Dec 29, 2008
Ocala,Fl
also head and block have never been decked before, im not even sure if they will need to be decked, for right now im just waiting on my rods and pistons to return before sending them in with the block to get bored over

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
resurface them like I have mine, they weren't decked and run a 2.0 gasket. Remember when the stock is compressed you are at 1.37mm so with a 2.0 you'll be fine AND you'll have lower compression which in turns makes more boost, with the right tune of course haha

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
"resurface them like I have mine, they weren't decked and run a 2.0 gasket. Remember when the stock is compressed you are at 1.37mm so with a 2.0 you'll be fine AND you'll have lower compression which in turns makes more boost, with the right tune of course haha "

I did that for years and ran slightly more boost(about 17psi on pump and 20 with race) with stock pistons and a unshaved head. Howver car actually went faster with more compression(smaller HG) and less boost than above set up(15-16psi)-about an average of 1-2 tenths and 1 mph with drag radials and good launch. I say run meth and run a standard thickness metal head gasket to be sure. Get a wide band on the car and have someone tune it that knows what they are doing. Octane and meth will be a nice cushion for safety. Generally in the past with stock pistons,1.4 gasket and a unshaved head 15 psi seems to be safe on 93 octane. The 2MM will knock too much torque at low rpms unless you add more timing-but then you need to decrease it as boost goes up which a tuning device like you have may enable you to do. I didn't have any way to control timing since I ran the HKS piggyback stuff.