NASCAR testing.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
While the engineering behind NASCAR is actually kinda cool, the actual event itself is tough for me to watch. I'd rather watch hours of technical videos on the physics and engineering behind NASCAR than watch half of an actual race. :p

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
Now that NASCAR allows the teams more data acquisition during testing I've heard that f1 and Indy teams have helped with the sensors and reading data and the response from them "how can this car do what it does" they go down the straights sideways. Our machine shoo actually built one of the first efi engines for a few cup teams.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
They have been running Joe Gibbs Toyota v8s but I think they are going to the trd engines.

This isn't a engine you can get though- its a pushrod motor built to NASCAR spec by Toyota.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
when i was at waltrips facility not to long ago they were discussing motors and the motors run upwards of 80,000 and are only used in one race. I like the efi stuff, but get rid of the restrictor plates already and let em race!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1793575 said:
WOW EFI huh welcome to 1980 Nascar :)

:love: watching these whales on road courses, ovals not so much!

I got to run a few laps around Atlanta Motor Speedway in one. It's a lot more entertaining from behind the wheel...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Raven97990;1793504 said:
They are- curious to see how mileage works out.
Wow, they're finally running racing technology from the 50's, and production technology from the 80's? Congrats NASCAR! :D

suprarx7nut;1793517 said:
While the engineering behind NASCAR is actually kinda cool, the actual event itself is tough for me to watch. I'd rather watch hours of technical videos on the physics and engineering behind NASCAR than watch half of an actual race. :p
I am the same way. Neat to read about, the tech can be cool, but its like golf or sex: much more fun when you're a participant as opposed to spectating.

IJ.;1793575 said:
WOW EFI huh welcome to 1980 Nascar :)

:love: watching these whales on road courses, ovals not so much!
Road courses kick ass with stock cars, too bad they only have what, 2 of them? Really shows who's a well rounded driver, and who's only good at going round and round.

Supracentral;1793578 said:
I got to run a few laps around Atlanta Motor Speedway in one. It's a lot more entertaining from behind the wheel...
I'll bet. If GT5 is even an INKLING of what it might really be like, I have a LOT more respect for the drivers' abilities to do what they do. Full on wheel/seat setup for GT5, and NASCAR still proves to be hair-pulling levels of frustration on some tracks.

Speaking of changes and going to "new" (by NASCAR standards), are they finally getting any more gears? I figure that's all that keeps them from being obscenely fast. I mean, I know it's "stock car" racing and all, but when is the last time ANYONE saw a 4 speed (even automatics these days!) in a stock factory car? I mean, FFS, give these guys some gears and see what happens. Bet you won't need 200 of those HP if you have 6 gears...

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
It is still a 4 speed transmission.

My time behind a wheel of a cup car was on a short track. So much going on. They really are hill-billy engineering at their finest. Hell, a team found a old rail road tunnel and bought it, clamped off both ends so they could have a full speed run of their car without any other outside wind. Normal people just goto a wind tunnel.

They do need more road-courses, sadly most of the fans don't understand right turns.

Still think one of the best races to watch is the 09 Nationwide race at montreal. Nascar, in the rain, on a road course!