My Sacrilegious Build

CordiaDOHC

Jan 14, 2009
St.louis
Isphius;1289059 said:
This is what you can look forward to. Keep in mind, i didnt punch it all the way till about 3500 in first gear. The car will just spin wheels endlessly if you try to do that. Im sure i could get a much better 0-60 run if i take my time and practice the launch. Maybe ill make one today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KDsHWUllGs&feature=channel_page

judging by the pull Im betting thats a peanut cam TPI 305. (the 190hp model) Not a put down. Ive had 2 3rd gen Fbodies. Actually miss the 89 ttop rs I had. It was the 305 but it was the less TBI 305 (though TBI auto to TPI peanut cam auto is a close race)

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
CordiaDOHC;1289515 said:
judging by the pull Im betting thats a peanut cam TPI 305. (the 190hp model) Not a put down. Ive had 2 3rd gen Fbodies. Actually miss the 89 ttop rs I had. It was the 305 but it was the less TBI 305 (though TBI auto to TPI peanut cam auto is a close race)

Yes its the smaller cam motor. Not that having the bigger one is much better, lol. The only exciting 305 ive driven was my HO camaro, the monte ss motor, with a few bolt ons. 3.73 gears and a 5 speed may have been why, but it was a fun car. I just wish the TPI caught on like the mustang 5.0 fuel injection had. There is such a small, expensive aftermarket for the TPI its almost not worth it. But its a great stock motor and will make some great power and torque if you are willing to invest in it (geared toward OP not you)

CordiaDOHC

Jan 14, 2009
St.louis
Isphius;1289709 said:
Yes its the smaller cam motor. Not that having the bigger one is much better, lol. The only exciting 305 ive driven was my HO camaro, the monte ss motor, with a few bolt ons. 3.73 gears and a 5 speed may have been why, but it was a fun car. I just wish the TPI caught on like the mustang 5.0 fuel injection had. There is such a small, expensive aftermarket for the TPI its almost not worth it. But its a great stock motor and will make some great power and torque if you are willing to invest in it (geared toward OP not you)

few different people made Runners for the TPI. But it was always just easier to replace the whole tpi unit with a stealthram the difference is VERY NICE! And the difference between the small cam 5 spd tpi and the bigger cam tpi 5 spd was the difference between low 15's and mid to high 14's. Not bad for only a cam difference. It was enough so that the 5 spd tpi 305 h.o's ran even with a strong running 350 tpi with 3.23 gearing. So not too bad. But GM probably hurt itself with so many different engine combos and with ford outselling them. All it took to convert an older style manifold to a newer style head was a drill :biglaugh: Though got to admit im interested in watching this swap. My rs camaro (305 tbi) usually got around 24-26mpg on the highway. My Na supra can barely squeeze out 18-19. And the RS was faster all around with only 170hp and an auto over my 5 spd na supra. lol wouldnt mind a bigger engine and a bit more gas mileage :evil2:

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
CordiaDOHC;1290393 said:
My rs camaro (305 tbi) usually got around 24-26mpg on the highway. My Na supra can barely squeeze out 18-19. And the RS was faster all around with only 170hp and an auto over my 5 spd na supra. lol wouldnt mind a bigger engine and a bit more gas mileage :evil2:

Yes it should be cool to watch. My na supra only ever got 20mpg on the highway too. It was the 4.30 rear that killed it for me. My tpi car usually only gets about 21-22 on the highway though, even with 2.73 gears

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Damn, I knock down 25MPG in mixed driving with my Supra...

Like I said, the TPI swap has been done, and the only reason he was fast is because he had nitrous.

The stealth ram will definately NOT fit under the supra hood (it won't even clear the firebird or T/A hood without some modifying of the bracing). Edelbrock makes the runners (as does SLP), and they also make a better lower plenum and a lower plenum that will boltup to the vortech heads.

Get a 350 block, vortech heads, and stuff the TPI stuff from edelbrock on it and have fun...

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
Poodles;1290622 said:
Get a 350 block, vortech heads, and stuff the TPI stuff from edelbrock on it and have fun...

That would be a ton of money and it wouldnt really run all that great. Maybe with siamesed runners. If i ever get an ac/dc tig im going to hack up a set of stock runners and make my own siamesed version. Youd really be better off with a carb to make power. Or an aftermarket efi system, but then, again thats a lot of cash for not a lot of gain. I wouldnt plan on trying to get too much power out of the tpi unless you can pay to play. A 350 with vortec heads, a good intake/carb/cam combo, with headers, would easily make close to 400hp with the stock compression and all. not bad for a ~$1000 investment. The build ive always wanted to do with the TPI is a 383 with the vortecs, ported base and plenum, and a vortec super charger. Just NA a motor like that would make 450 ft lbs or more with a smaller cam. Then add boost!

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
Poodles;1292703 said:
EFI will make more power than a carb anytime.

The edelbrock and SLP runners are siamesed last I knew...

vs Cost, is what i was saying. For any kind of budget build i would never mess with the tpi. everything is a ton of $ and tuning work. And prie/hp you cant beat a carb with vortec heads and a big cam. And yes, slp and e-brock runners are siamesed, but also cost a lot. Slp runners in good shape can sell for 300$ or more. For EFI i would stick to the throttle body and play around with that. Or if i was stuck with a tpi just put a cam in it and leave the rest alone. Cammed 305 TPI with tuning is a mid 14 second car, even with stock 2.73s. Would do nicely in a supra

CordiaDOHC

Jan 14, 2009
St.louis
BBK is introducing a new TPI intake manifold. It might be a great answer for this swap as I when I start this swap im staying efi. While putting a v8 in s supra seems fairly wrong. A carbed one just somehow seems worse :biglaugh: . Tuning a TPI computer is pretty simple! lol hell theres tons of people on TGO that would probably do it and I know theres a few local guys here in stl that will do it.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produ...2-firebird-camaro-gm-tpi-intake-manifold.html

not the best tpi option but not a bad one for which space is at a premium like it is in the supra.

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
CordiaDOHC;1296351 said:
BBK is introducing a new TPI intake manifold. It might be a great answer for this swap as I when I start this swap im staying efi. While putting a v8 in s supra seems fairly wrong. A carbed one just somehow seems worse :biglaugh: . Tuning a TPI computer is pretty simple! lol hell theres tons of people on TGO that would probably do it and I know theres a few local guys here in stl that will do it.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produ...2-firebird-camaro-gm-tpi-intake-manifold.html

not the best tpi option but not a bad one for which space is at a premium like it is in the supra.

That is pretty awesome. Ive always wanted to weld up my own in the fasion/design of the top setion of the lt5 intake manifold. With the runners aiming straight down the ports rather than wrapping around and underneath. Plus it would be extremely unique and pretty cool looking i think

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Well, plans got changed...what a shock.

Ended up selling my '71 240z project, and the buyer wanted my engine/tranny/etc, as well. Can't argue much with the price he paid.

So, now I'm left with the Supra shell, lmao. I'll figure something out for it....

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Isphius;1365115 said:
I was really wondering what you were going to do for a driveshaft too :confused:

Custom driveshaft. I have the one from the Supra, and I can pick a Camaro/firebird one up from a salvage yard for cheap. At that point, just drop off both to a driveshaft shop, with a measurement for length, and let them do the rest.

The engine's back in my hands, buyer wasn't able to buy both; so this may still proceed. Got to pay the mortgage though, and I'm short...so....we'll see.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
But why not a 7M?
zoolander-98642.jpg