My Panda is about to get boosted!!! ('82 MKII Build thread)

What would be the most cost effective and quickest/easiest swap?

• 7M-GTE

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 1JZ-GTTE

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Supra_5tAt1c

o0Gears of Snow0o
Jul 12, 2009
Redfield, South Dakota
Ok guys!!! I've had my tired old 5M-GE for a year now and i just got my income taxes done and i'm going to do a swap as i have enough money to do so now. I am debating though as to which motor to get and such.

I have 2 options
1] 7M-GTE w/o ECU & harness..includes Complete Engine - Turbo - Intake Manifold - Exhaust Manifold - Distributor - Alternator - Starter - A/C Compressor - Power Steering Pump - Throttle Body

2] 1JZ-GTTE and it includes Complete Engine - Automatic Transmission - ECU - Harness - Turbos - Intake Manifold - Exhaust Manifold - Alternator - Starter - A/C Compressor - Power Steering Pump - Throttle Body

there is only $50 difference in price...I have not quoted shipping yet.

What would be easier to do? Can I keep my stock trans and bolt it to the 1j or would i have to convert to auto? How much money or how hard is it to get an ECU and harness for the 7m? I can't decide.

I really don't care about power ATM, but if i can get more power AND a trans for only $50 more, should i go that route? Would it end up costing me the same?

I will have about $500-$800 left to play with AFTER the cost of the motor or motor/trans...please help! Anything but the weak old 5M! PS, i will sell the 5M to anyone for a VERY decent price if wanted AFTER I get my swap done or close to done!

ANY and ALL help/suggestions/criticism will be appreciated and might even include a road trip if super helpful.

I will deffinately be supporting our vendors throughout the swap process. The reason I'm ditching the 5M is because it would cost more to rebuild and boost than to just swap. plus either of the motors have less than 50,000 miles on them guaranteed.

thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!! I'm so stoked!!!

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
I would go 7m in a mk2. 1jz would take longer.

The 7m requires a 90+ front sump oil pan/pump from a cressida, the mounts off of your 5m, 5m trans will bolt right up, and a guy name junkie on celicasupra.com can make you a harness. IIRC, it is about 12-16 wires to hook up to make it run, I researched this cause I was thinking of buying a mk2 awhile back and had a 7m lined up to buy local and could do the swap in the weekend.

If you want a stronger trans, the r154 fits in the mk2, with a little hammering on the trans tunnel on the passenger side, and a custom driveshaft to fit the diff. If you decide to go this way, pm me as I have a r154 for sale, or if you have anymore questions.

edit: A local guy has a 57 trim ct26 7m in his mk2, he has went through 2 or 3 diffs.

He was right under fuel cut tuned with a safc, and he would keep up with a grand national with upgraded turbo and injectors on a highway pull.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Supra_5tAt1c;1507080 said:
Ok guys!!! I've had my tired old 5M-GE for a year now and i just got my income taxes done and i'm going to do a swap as i have enough money to do so now. I am debating though as to which motor to get and such.

I have 2 options
1] 7M-GTE w/o ECU & harness..includes Complete Engine - Turbo - Intake Manifold - Exhaust Manifold - Distributor - Alternator - Starter - A/C Compressor - Power Steering Pump - Throttle Body

2] 1JZ-GTTE and it includes Complete Engine - Automatic Transmission - ECU - Harness - Turbos - Intake Manifold - Exhaust Manifold - Alternator - Starter - A/C Compressor - Power Steering Pump - Throttle Body

there is only $50 difference in price...I have not quoted shipping yet.

What would be easier to do? Can I keep my stock trans and bolt it to the 1j or would i have to convert to auto? How much money or how hard is it to get an ECU and harness for the 7m? I can't decide.

I really don't care about power ATM, but if i can get more power AND a trans for only $50 more, should i go that route? Would it end up costing me the same?

I will have about $500-$800 left to play with AFTER the cost of the motor or motor/trans...please help! Anything but the weak old 5M! PS, i will sell the 5M to anyone for a VERY decent price if wanted AFTER I get my swap done or close to done!

ANY and ALL help/suggestions/criticism will be appreciated and might even include a road trip if super helpful.

I will deffinately be supporting our vendors throughout the swap process. The reason I'm ditching the 5M is because it would cost more to rebuild and boost than to just swap. plus either of the motors have less than 50,000 miles on them guaranteed.

thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!!! I'm so stoked!!!

I can't say which one is easier honestly, but I'd go 1jz personally...

but you'd need a new bellhousing, flywheel, and probably clutch to convert the w58 (i'm assuming that's what you have?)

Plus you'd need a new ecu for an automatic.

If you want to keep a manual transmission, it would probably be easier to go 7m.

Supra_5tAt1c

o0Gears of Snow0o
Jul 12, 2009
Redfield, South Dakota
thanks guys...umm, junkie isn't on the site anymore under that name, he's not taking on any projects, so the pre-fabbed sub-harness is outta question...and that's all right because i have a few leads on wiring diagrams...

.and nick, i will keep you in mind...i used to live in DSM and i can drive there and pick stuff up if you have it when/if i get that far....still haven't gotten my taxes back, so i'm waiting on that, and a better lead on a motor i guess since JDM is going to be a much harder install...the pan and pump are transferrable from my 5M-GE into the 7M motors...umm..yeah...

I just hope i can keep the motivation and get 'er dun otherwise my dad will start gettin on me about having too much "junk" and start throwing crap out....that would tick me off...so once i can source most everything i need, i'm going to order it all at once so i can swap and be done with it....and if i can do it with $2000.....i will be shocked...cuz then i can go to paint.

..but yeah...it's going to be a long process....i may have to rebuild the head on my 5M before i finish the 7M project....so we will see....