my launches are killing me

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i don't know what the problem is, but my car is sucking at the local 1/8 mile track. i can't cut a good 60ft and my mph is way low.

i'm talking like 2.5 60ft's and like 88mph trap speeds.

last year i use to run at cecil county in maryland and with a smaller turbo i was hitting 2.0 60fts and trapping at over 120mph in the 1/4. (93mph is the 1/8)

since going to the 67mm turbo i have been having a really tough time at the track??

any advice.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Spinning or bogging?

I knwo you said you were having clutch issues....id be willing to bet the clutch isnt having-it still....

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i was trying to run 16psi, launching at 3500 rpms, i'm getting a ton of wheel hop.

i know this car is not setup for drag racing; however i have run decent times in the past with the same setup.

i still have my lowering springs installed and i'm running on a brand new set of falken RT615's tires.

tire pressure is 35psi in the rear.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
with a 40 series tire, i doubt you'll get much traction... (assuming you have the /40/r17's ?

-shaeff

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
malloynx said:
i was trying to run 16psi, launching at 3500 rpms, i'm getting a ton of wheel hop.

i know this car is not setup for drag racing; however i have run decent times in the past with the same setup.

i still have my lowering springs installed and i'm running on a brand new set of falken RT615's tires.

tire pressure is 35psi in the rear.

sounds about right for street tires. how are you launching? clutch drop or slip?

I

itr206

the tires arent the greatest for drag racing. Too stiff of sidewalls, but you should be able to do much better that then.
My guess is the launch RPM. Leave at a later RPM if possible. I know you got power, so you are going to have to feather it off the line.
Esp on a 67mm. Find some way to leave in boost and actually get traction.

POint blank. get better tires and that will help tremendously. Susp set up is the next best thing.

From your clutch issues, I would agree its prob glazing over or something on the launch. Youd be able to tell though. When my clutch was bad, i could launch, but it would fall on its face after the 60ft once it started making some power.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yeah that high of air pressure and small sidewall does not lend itself to good 60'.
but, having that bad of a 60' i would expect a higher mph. somewhere in the 92-93 range. that is a bit of a concern for me. what is your 1/2 track?

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
well, that was my last time out and i had a boost leak. so the car was falling on it's face.

the car is making good power; i just can't put it down from a dead stop. i have 15x8 drag wheels, with ET DRAGS; however they won't fit with my lowering springs.

ever since i installed this south bend clutch, i have been having problems.

the wheel hop is so severe, i can't get my mph up.

should i try to lower the tire psi?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hey man you're running pretty close to what I'm running. I just had my best 60' this past saturday night. It was 2.160 with a trap speed of 87.11. Those were both my personal best. I am running Nitto 555 drag radials. I ran an 8.743 in the 1/8 and was tickled to death. I usually run a 9.00-9.60 depending on track conditions and weather. I am getting used to these tires now though, so I'm hoping my times keep getting better. I will keep watching this thread to see if I can learn something............lol and gl.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
yea, right now my times suck ass... i have run way faster on a smaller turbo and bald tires. something is not right

I

itr206

easiest ways to fix wheel hop quick

1. More tire pressure
2. Or Higher Launch RPM
3. Softer sidewal tires
4. Good suspension set up.

#1 and 2 are free.
I would honestly suggest higher launch RPM. If I would launch my car even at 5k on my AVS I would bog big time and still hit 1.9's
That was just BPU though.
Im sure it would be worse now with power. But its all about control. I dont really have traction problems on my street tires even at +500 tq.
I guess its driving style