My 88 Turbo vs 05 RSX Type S

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
So i had to get the info of this car from a friend who recognized it. So story time, im heading home from work two nights ago, when i see a clean albeit slammed black RSX that was debaged except for a Honda badge in place of the Acura badge. It was a eye catcher for sure as it had blue wheels. Found out later it was a Type S and not a base model. I pass by the car minding my own business it looked clean but i was enjoying the song on the radio to care to do anything more than admire. A few seconds after i pass him he pulls behind me and then into the fast lane (next to my lane) and pulls up next to me. Im thinking oh boy and i didnt feel like racing anyone tonight. I look over and hes got his window down asking if im down for a race. I look down at the fuel gauge and seen im below a 1/4 tank and say fuck it. I nod to the guy shut the A/C off (i live in Texas) turn off the radio and take her out of O/D and hit the PWR button (RAWR!!!). Going from a 60mph roll I honk off three times and mash it, to my surprise as this always seems to happen he instantly jump a car and half ahead of me. As i get my full 12lbs he stops pulling still a car ahead and hes doing a good job holding me off but Supras top end said no way and i start to reel him in by 100 we are dead even and i continue to pull ahead till about 110 and let off by this time im a car and half ahead. Now im thinking thats one quick RSX, he wants to go another round this time he honks it off from 60mph again. I figured i wont let him get ahead of me again, however it happens again :nono:. Ive raced Civic Si that were K20 powered and they never got that far ahead of me so quick if anything the furthest they get is a bumper due to the Auto downshifting. However the result is the same and i made sure not to let the other Supra owners out there down, this time I put two cars on him. He gives me a thumbs up as do I and flashes the high beams as he heads off the freeway. I wished i had known he was getting off at that exit i wanted to see what was done to it. I found out the next day that it was a Supercharged RSX Type-S untuned and was all stock except for the supercharger and an exhaust running rougly 5psi.

My mods
Intake, Exhaust, Test Pipe, 20G @ 12psi.

All in all good close fun runs. I have a feeling had the RSX had a tune and full bolts on he wouldve beaten me pretty bad.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
TrqMnstr;1803590 said:
Nice kill. If he finds you and asks for re-match don't go for it. He'll prolly be tuned.

Why not give him a re-match? If he tunes it then it should be a challenging race. Unless of course you only want to race people you know you can beat. That's lame.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprapowaz!(2);1803671 said:
Why not give him a re-match? If he tunes it then it should be a challenging race. Unless of course you only want to race people you know you can beat. That's lame.
x2

Only Acura I've ever raced was a newish TL. Kept up with me better than anyone else had up to that point, that 3.5L isn't a slouch. Told him to turbo it and get back with me when it was ready, that it would be a monster at that point. Was mostly joking, but he went and did it haha. I was right, that thing turned out to be a monster.

To the OP, ever heard of brake boosting? Works great at getting rid of lag, and you won't be losing that first car length due to the auto anymore. ;)

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
te72;1803706 said:
x2

Only Acura I've ever raced was a newish TL. Kept up with me better than anyone else had up to that point, that 3.5L isn't a slouch. Told him to turbo it and get back with me when it was ready, that it would be a monster at that point. Was mostly joking, but he went and did it haha. I was right, that thing turned out to be a monster.

To the OP, ever heard of brake boosting? Works great at getting rid of lag, and you won't be losing that first car length due to the auto anymore. ;)

It's all about 3.5L V6 swapped Civic these days.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
redmaro;1806515 said:
It's all about 3.5L V6 swapped Civic these days.
Yeah, for the girls. I swapped in one of Honda's Indy car v8's into MY Civic...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1806814 said:
Was a joke Andy, that 3.5l would cause enough torque steer, a v8 would be a joke, car would drive itself right into another lane...

redmaro;1806851 said:
Pretty sweet, but dyno-ing with the wheels off like that, isn't that likely to give a false reading? I dunno about you, but I don't drive without wheels very often...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
te72;1807148 said:
Was a joke Andy, that 3.5l would cause enough torque steer, a v8 would be a joke, car would drive itself right into another lane...

Pretty sweet, but dyno-ing with the wheels off like that, isn't that likely to give a false reading? I dunno about you, but I don't drive without wheels very often...

When you do, can you record it so I can watch? I NEVER drive with my wheels off:biglaugh:

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
te72;1807148 said:

From little reading apparently those Hub Dynos are more accurate and consistent then Roller Dynos.

Even with just a stock J swap into a hatchback theyre pretty damn quick.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
Brake boosting for the win...also it will fully lock the tranny so you don't lose time while the auto finds it's gear. Gotta love the 2nd gear pull from 50 to 75mph...and then 3rd to 120+.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
redmaro;1807204 said:
From little reading apparently those Hub Dynos are more accurate and consistent then Roller Dynos.

Even with just a stock J swap into a hatchback theyre pretty damn quick.
I believe it, but it doesn't reflect real world conditions as well, does it? As for being quick, a hatch with a nice K or H swap can be pretty quick, I can only imagine a v6...