My 88 Turbo Supra

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
So here is my 88 turbo Supra, that just got fixed up just in time for me when i got home from deployment. Thanks to my dad who surprised me with the best Xmas present ever. New toys are ported head, valve job, upgraded ct26 to 57 trim by Albert, BC Coilovers, Ruff Racing rims, Mishimoto raditor with electric fans, Blitz nur exhaust, HKS downpipe, AEM air/fuel gauge, Prosport boost gauge. More pics on Insatgram at dwreck36

1231181_225876177592312_213129068_n.jpg1533838_223648754481721_1176467139_n.jpg

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Also driftmotion turbo line kits, DM pulley kit, apexi airfilter, 3'' intercooler with Misihimoto intercooler, new valve seals when the head got rebuilt, ARP head studs, and CXracing turbo elbow. Dyno her at the Titan Motorsport show back in 2012 she put down 244hp didnt get the torque, but when she dyed on me before I left for bootcamp the head shop told me i snapped a valve (last intake valve). I wanna dyno her again but I am having a fuel problem I think. When i got back from deployment and got the surpise of my life, i drove her for a week, first time she has been driven in over a year, when you get on it (not racing) just wanting to hear the car it has a hesitation like when you hit fuel cut, but it wasnt even going pass 12lbs boost, and on the UEGO it shows lean like around 14.7-15.2. Any advise on how to fix it?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
14.7-15.2 is normal. UEGO isn't very accurate by the way.. but a ton better than nothing. If you dyno'd at 244 you probably had fairly close to 300 torque at the upper end. (the nice part of the 7M). With the 57 trim though, you should be at near 300 at the wheels with about 14-16 psi. You still running on stock injectors and AFM? Didn't see any mention of those or an AFPR. On stock injectors/AFM, 12 lbs is about max for you to hit fuel cut. When I hit that on stock turbo/injectors/afm it was at 11 psi and wasn't a simple hesitation, it would stutter like it was out of breath. The 60-1 trim CT26 with upgraded intercooler, Lexus AFM and 550's hit fuel cut at about 14-16 psi. It was like the engine stopped and then hammered on. (almost like I had boost spike that sucked the fuel out too quick and then caught up with itself).
Love the look of your car though. My son is in Tampa right now until the 8th. Meanwhile.. we are at about -20 deg C here and getting colder... :)

I wish I was in Florida to be able to do the car all year round...

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
stock injectors, stock AFM. but when my dad had the car put back together the guys said that it was from having shitty fuel in it and i know thats not shitty fuel does. so if i can get ahold of 550's and a lexus afm from a sc400 right. is there anything else i would need? AFPR?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
AFPR = fuel pressure regulator. Not needed, but nice to have (Got mine from Driftmotion).

with stock AFM/stock injectors the max PSI for fuel cut (from all my research) is 12 psi, but can be less depending on elevation. You can shim the wastegate to achieve this on the stock ct26 (ghetto in my opinion).
I used a used set of RC PL8 550 injectors that I bought from here (and am selling again as I am now on 1000 cc injectors and a T4 setup). I have the LIPP Lexus AFM housing (with stock electronics... also for sale).

You can generally pick these up used as they pop up from time to time quite frequently.

You should also consider a boost controller if you do the BPU mod. The 57 trim is wasted on a the stock injector/afm setup in my opinion.

You have a nice setup started right now and most things already in place. I found that I had not built my car to match what I had in my head. Its why I am now into a standalone (HKS Fcon Vpro) and a T4 mani/turbo. To get near the 400 rwhp range you don't really need to go that far.

It doesn't sound so much like a fuel problem as your just hitting the limits of an "antiquated" system. (meaning... late 80's/early 90's injector technology, stock ecu... all excellent for its age, but limited in its function compared to todays systems). Im not sure if your actually using E85 in your car where you live, but I think that there are some fuel line modifications needed to do that successfully (never did complete following that argument.. lol). Your exhaust system is all up to snuff by the sounds of it. I went with the HKS catback with the twintip muffler and the only reason I didn't use the HKS downpipe was the lack of the integrated turbo elbow, but with your CXracing elbow. that problem will be solved. Make sure the flanges on the new elbow are not warped. I had to machine my flanges as I am fussy and wanted them perfectly flat, but the elbow I had (before I got the Raptor Racing DDP with the integrated elbow) was so warped, I couldn't use it. It makes a good paper weight now...

Also, if you ever have to pop off your exhaust manifold, I would suggest helicoils from Driftmotion because they are problematic and the helicoil just solves one headache...

(just pumping off info from what I had to go through.. lol)

Its really key to know your endgoal though, so that you can correct your path as you go. My car looked a lot like yours when I started. So clean.. but you have better wheels than I did..

Do you have any photos of your engine bay and interior? It looks like you have the grey leather interior and Im interested in what intake piping I see in your first photo.

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
well my dad went above and beyond with the car, got all new leather with two tone black center and gray outside, the intake pipping i bought from cxracing and made my own system. And i bought the 11psi wastegate from DM. After sending the turbo to Albert i asked him to install the wastegate also. And no e85 just 93

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thought I answered it.. maybe I rambled too much.
Stock CT26 with Stock AFM - fuel cut is at 12 psi at high altitudes. 10-11 psi at sea level. That's just nature of the beast with a stock ECU.

550 injectors/Lexus AFM upgrade is to get around that.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Evo are supposed to be plug and play as well, but I have no experience with that. As long as they are low impedance should all be good.

I don't know if you actually "have to" do the injectors at the same time as the AFM. I have never looked at just replacing the stock with the Lexus AFM...

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Found a set of evo8 injectors for 100$ just need to find two more, they arnt flow tested so need to get that done also. Havent really found afm yet. Work and now a srt4 caliber owner now. lol Prob going to wait till pay day to get the rest of the two injectors and afm. After i get the injectors prob going to send them to DM for flow testing and everything. Boost controller, i found a good deal on Gotboostinc.com cheap shipping lol. but idk if anyone can answer this is that do i need clips for the evo8 injectors?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Evo injectors work fine. I had them in my car for a couple years with no problems.
You will need new injector connectors, EV1 style. OR- You can get adapters, if you don't feel like cutting and soldering your harness.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-Je...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eceb39695&vxp=mtr

You can expect around 400hp with these mods, if your engine is strong.
The Lex/550 combo will not eliminate your fuel cut, it just pushes it back a bit farther. I would expect 15-ish psi max.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's not a correct question. What would be the HP range with a Lexus AFM, 560 cc injectors.. and what turbo? What other mods? Oversimplified questions lead to inaccurate responses.

... just saying.. because I notice that a lot lately.

People actually post up things like.. "Selling my car.. $4500 which is a steal... buy it!" (no pics, no year, no type, nothing.. and then get pissed when you point that out.. lol) Strange world we live in...

laxboy36

Mar 25, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
mods are Aarons ct26 57trim, DM 11psi wastegate, cxracing elbow, hks downpipe, blitz nur exhaust, apexi cone with 3'' intercooler pipping all around, ported head, DM pulley kit, NGK iridiums. Stock bottom end.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not really. You can go with a 255 lph walbro or a mkiv fuel pump but it really depends on your goal. You should have an adjustable fuel regulator though.

For the most part, with a wideband you can tell if your leaning out. With your described setup, I think stock fuel pump would be fine, but I am going from third hand knowledge so maybe someone can confirm or correct me