mods question

blacksupra

Apr 9, 2005
Buena Park,CA
I just bought a 87 supra turbo 5 speed. The engine has been rebuilt and the only mods are K&N, 3" exhaust, and 3"Dp not installed yet. Whats should I do next?
I'd like to know if I'm going to hit fuel cut when i put the 3" exhaust and DP.
What should I do next?
bov, lexus afm with 550 injectors, MHG,or arp heads bolt.

91suprat

1991 Black Supra Turbo
Apr 4, 2005
Chicago Area
if you dont raise the boost at all you shouldnt hit fuel cut. but if you do raise the boost the lex and 550 will work fine. it is a good idea to ditch the stock hg for a mhg and arps. but a bov is a good idea also, so you should do all of the things you listed. as fo order i would do the hg first as you want a solid platform to begin modding.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
dont shim the wastegate, just get a manual boost controller from doc. jonez!!!

-shaeff

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Actually, shimming the wastegate allows for more boost than a mbc.
Even with my Cooleeze DP and exhaust, the ct won't make over 10 psi over 4K without shimming the gate.
Even still I can't get much over 10 past 5K. Grrr.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
really? thats odd... i bet your wastegate actuator diaphram has called it quits.

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shaeff said:
really? thats odd... i bet your wastegate actuator diaphram has called it quits.

-shaeff
If the diaphram dies it will make MUCHO boost right up till either the turbo won't flow anymore or the motor takes a dump. (think about it if the gate's not working it's never opening)(MBC is a controlled leak to get more boost, dead diaphram is a bigger leak) ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
perhaps not dead, but getting weak? i read somewhere that when the actuator starts to go, ya gotta shim it and use a MBC to boost more. maybe its stuck open a little and shimming it closes it back up?

-shaeff

91suprat

1991 Black Supra Turbo
Apr 4, 2005
Chicago Area
with an older actuator the spring sometimes cant hold it shut throughout the power band and shimming it adds more resistance to the spring thus holding the wastegate closed and producing more boost.