Modifying CPS to use AEM Engine Position Module

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
Has anyone considered replacing the CPS with an AEM Engine Position Module link below.
http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine-position-module-puck-universal-1283

I would think you could just remove all the sensors out of the cps and make a mounting bracket and coupling to connect the shaft from the stock cps to the the AEM sensor then just wire it into the harness. I would imagine and AME EMS would be compatible with this sensor you would just have to adjust the cam/crank settings. with this sensor being only $175 its a hell of a lot cheaper than a new cps sensor and probably more reliable.

anyone have any thought on this?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I wonder how it works. to me it kindof just seems like a modified cps with the tooth taken out. I would imagine you could use it, but you can pick up cps' pretty cheap now a days and they are plug and play. I don't really see a use for it, unless someone would like to do some research and make one work for our cars. I would imagine they are fairly easy to install since they work with distributors and such, but I won't say for sure.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
thats exactly what the cps signal is. 24 tooth and then 1 cam. Expect there is 2 pickups you could usefor the 1 tooth cam.

IIrc the issue with cam sensor is from old wiring and pick ups.

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
where is the best place to get a cps because i think mine may have weak pick ups. last time I was at the dyno my car was missing and sputtering by it was very inconsistent when it happened. I bought a new wiring harness but the tuner said it seem like it had weak mags.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Check and adjust the clearances between the pickups and toothed wheels inside the CPS. Also check to see if it is leaking inside, might need new shaft seal and bearing.

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
The seal is fine no oil around the cps. Is their some where I can look up what the clearances between the tooth wheel and pickups should be?

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
I think there are a couple threads on this forum about it, if there isn't anything in the TSRM. I remember setting them quite tight.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Anyone look further into the AEM EPM?

I've got an AEM V1 and the stock CPS has always given me issues, I'm looking at modding a CPS to mount the EPM.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
from AEM:

I dug through the archives and found the 1110 schematic. Unfortunately the crank input has been configured to only accept a VR signal (pull down resistor in place). For whatever reason, when the 1110 was first engineered, the crank input was NOT given a configurable jumper to allow change between either a pull up or pull down resistor. Interestingly enough, the cam and other speed inputs do have jumpers.

Technically, you could go in and find the physical pull down resistor and remove it from the PCB. Luckily the EPM outputs a square wave so a pull up isn't needed. If you're not 100% comfortable with doing work of this level then I suggest not doing it. You could actually try running the EPM with the pull down in place but there's a chance that it'll pull the signal down too much which wouldn't be good.

Hope this helps.