Mkiv auto na getting an aristo vvti

Waszak

Nov 27, 2012
Wv
To help out a friend I bought his 95 auto na with a thrown bearing with the intentions of a restoration of the car. image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

So, old motor is out and gone. Aristo came with ecu, maf, igniter and a good hunk of aristo body harness. I'm in the process of making a patch harness to run from the passengers footwell to the area behind the left headlight ( where the battery used to be) because the aristo ecu sits in the engine bay. The wiring is the biggest hurdle for me ( missed that week of physics 101 I guess). I read pin outs and labeled just about every wire on both harnesses. i know i have to jump the resistor on the tach to make that work. Whats hanging me up is the starter wiring. I'm guessing that tripping the starter relay grounds the starter signal and starter switch wires which means I can run them all in series (there are two starter signal wires and and one starter switch wire on the aristo harness) but I'm not sure about the NSW (neutral safety switch) wire. Anyone know which wire it should run to? Or can I just run it in series with the other starter wires?

I have a long ways to go on this project. I want to reupholster the interior. I'm debating a TRD widebody kit because I'm going to have the whole car painted regardless. TT brakes, custom drive shaft, lsd rear, I will need a piggy back or secondary fuel and boost computers. I installed a set of SARD 650cc injectors and an aeromotive fuel pump.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Painted the gross chrome headlights
image.jpg
Any and all advise will be appreciated on all aspects of this build

Waszak

Nov 27, 2012
Wv
The aristo has a front sump oil pan so I have to use the na mid sump upper and lower pan and drill the oil return out.
image.jpg
image.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Welcome to Supramania man, mind my asking what a car in such condition set you back? My old lady really wants a MkIV, and knowing me, I figure I'll end up tinkering with it on occasion even if it's her car haha. Might as well start planning a budget, right?

Speaking of budgets, if you're serious about the widebody thing, you're going to need one. I know for a fact, my car would be done and kicking a LOT of ass if not for that 'widebody' idea I thought sounded like a simple endeavor... it will cause you to reevaluate what you find "acceptable" with your car. Higher standards will lead to higher prices, but in the long run, you end up with a pretty sweet car. Just know, that most of that money, you'll never see it again. ;)

Waszak

Nov 27, 2012
Wv
This car is a money pit, and I understood going into it that it would not an investment. The body has about 130,000 on the odo and a lot needs replaced. I paid 5000 to a good friend who drove it daily in congested cities. Every panel has bodywork and all of it done poorly. So, the widebody kit only makes sense if I'm fixing every panel anyway. I believe i could have picked up a working tt supra with a 6 speed for about 20000. I am already very close that price point, and have a long way to go.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Where did you pick up the vvt-i? I am considering all options but I am up in British Columbia Canada so shipping is another factor that i have to deal with. I would prefer a front clip but want a vvt-i motor instead of the reg 1jz.

Waszak

Nov 27, 2012
Wv
I purchased it from an importer in Texas www.dallasjdmmotors.com . Freight charges for the engine were roughly 350 for 1200 miles. I imagine it would be a good bit more for a clip. I would see if they imported aristos into Canada, I know you guys get some cool vehicles we don't ( like Nissan skylines). I'm new to toyotas but I'm pretty sure there is a vvt-I 1jz as well, that might be easier to acquire?

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I see that their motor setup is about 1000 more then the guys that are in Canada already. Thanks for the response.

How long do you figure to do the swap itself? I am curious to see how well it runs

Waszak

Nov 27, 2012
Wv
It's ready to go in but I'm going to send the body to have the widebody kit and paint work done. I doubt I will get it back before February. In toymods.com au forum is wilbo666. He's done this swap, but is also an electrical genius. He has aided me a couple times as to the patch harness fabrication and has a wiki on all the pinouts and diagrams for the swap. I'm pretty confident in the vvt-I, trans, and drive by wire working as intended due to the ecu controlling all the functions, I'm more concerned about the secondary unit and tune that is needed for the single turbo and fuel system.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well, do us all a favor and keep this thread updated from time to time, sounds like an ambitious project so far. :)

Also cool to see that the MkIV used aluminum crash bars, although it doesn't really surprise me. Found out the LS400 did as well, will be scavenging those for my Mk3 widebody soon.