MKIII w58 Shifter Questions

hulakatt

Jun 18, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm slowly rebuilding a MKIII (7mge w/w58) and I think the shifter has been tampered with, modified or replaced. The thread pitch is SAE 3/8-24, definitely not the standard toyota pitch of 12x1.25. Also, there is a large rubber section covering the middle of the shifter shaft, I'll try to get some pics up in a bit.

Overall, the shifter is loose and sloppy and my suspicion is all or some of it is from an american car. I'm trying to find out how much of it needs replaced to bring it back to stock. If anybody can post pics of what theirs looks like, it would be very helpful to me!

Last edited:

hulakatt

Jun 18, 2011
Pittsburgh
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
its a hack job. shifter is stock, they have cut the top off and welded on a diff bolt for a different knob

as for loose, the shifter bushing in the tranny is prob worn out. its a cheap fix.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The rubber section is prolly toast after they hacked it.

I just look for a good used one. Its the same shifter for both r and w trans. Also be a good time to get the marlin crawler bushings. The one for the ball on the end and the other for the pivot.

hulakatt

Jun 18, 2011
Pittsburgh
With regards to the rubber chunk: there is rotational play and as the threads on the top move, the shifter shaft on the bottom does not. Does it look like stock height? Is it possible that the original, complete shaft is still underneath? Should I be able to replace just the shifter shaft at the worst (and the shifter bushing in the tranny if bad)?

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

so that rubber chunk is stock? I would not have called that, never seen another car like that.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
yes the rubber is stock, the shifter is a 2 piece design, why its there i dont know, unless its to stop heat transfer and maybe some transmission vibrations.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its for vibrations.

Looks like they just cut down the stock shaft to get that super low jdm tyte stlye yo. Not as bad as the sogi mod but super ghetto.

Stock shifters are cheap man. Just replace the whole thing. TYhere are plent of part outs going on im sure you could find one cheap. Also post in the wtb section. Youd be amazed how many people will pm you about stuff in the wtb section.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Shifter_Parts_MK3.jpg

thats what a stock one should look like. It has a rubber bonded section in it, but it is one piece you cannot take it apart. Looks like someone messed that shifter up pretty bad, buy a used shifter and replace the whole deal.