MKIII speaker capability question.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
I'm gonna go ahead and start with my being retarded when it comes to speakers, not something that i'm really interested in, but i am getting sick of hearing "thock thock" from my "subs" rather than "boom boom." I figure a couple of 6 x 8s will do the trick for me, found some boston acoustics ones for about 100 bucks, but i have no idea what wattage or anything means, or what my car can handle. i have an aftermarket clarion 45 watt head unit i believe, (yes i know P=IV and all that but not what that has to do with speakers). Would i get decent sound if i took out the stock "subs" that sit near the backseats and spliced in the 6x8s and would they fit? i found RMS wattage of 100 and 70.. if anybody can help it'd be greatly appreciated.

Feb 1, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You will probably have a hard time getting those to fit... Unless youre going to be tearing it apart. Stock speaker size is 3" (lol)

I personally went with Alpine 3.5"s all around, and with a decent sub setup to even it all out

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
Boostedmkiii;1389555 said:
You will probably have a hard time getting those to fit... Unless youre going to be tearing it apart. Stock speaker size is 3" (lol)

I personally went with Alpine 3.5"s all around, and with a decent sub setup to even it all out

i wouldn't have any problem taking the interior apart, i think it may have pioneer speakers or something, just looking at the speakers in the hatch, but i'm not sure if the guy that had the car before me bothered to try to get to the "subs" as toyota calls them lol. he didn't bother to change the middle two spark plugs either lmao. i suppose i could try to get the 6x8s underneath where the spare tire is too, but i think there's room in the box from what i can see. it's a 1990, and i think there's a good possibility that the stock ones are blown.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
right.. this is turning into a bigger project than i wanted it to be.. looks like i'll be going with a pair of 6x8s or a 10in slim sub in the back, thinking i could drill through the metal right behind the seat, doesn't appear to be holding anything important, and i could build a box or something to make it look proffessional. i definitely didn't get a good look at the rear speakers last time, but they are tiny... not original though, pioneers, apparently the guy that had the car before updated the whole system. If anybody knows how to wire in a sub or an extra pair of speakers, or a site where i could get good instructions please let me know.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Just go with some decent 6.5" Infinity's with the 6.5" speaker pods. Upgrade the head unit and amplifier and call it a day.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
Alec;1392115 said:
Just go with some decent 6.5" Infinity's with the 6.5" speaker pods. Upgrade the head unit and amplifier and call it a day.

i think i'll be alright with 6x8s and the head unit is fine, can't barely turn it up without the speakers going fuzzy. I'm probably going with boston acoustics though, need to figure out where the amp is and how the heck to wire new speakers in.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Why the hell would you put a 6x8 in??? If anything get some GOOD boxes and do 6x9's.

Put 6.5's in the door, some 4's in the back, and a 10 or 2 in the back.

The mk3 never came with 3.5's in front.

thedcorvette

Dusty
Nov 21, 2008
MD
i'm to the point of not bothering anymore.. this time next year i'll be able to buy a new camaro with a full boston acoustics system..