MK4 W58 in MK3?

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
Looking for a quick response.

Basically, a local and cheap W58 from a MK4 has popped up. Does the mount line up aswell as the shifter? its sits farther back, I know, but does it sit far enough back where it is not compatible with the pre cut hole?

let me know if it will work.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
RedPhoenix;1518268 said:
Looking for a quick response.

Basically, a local and cheap W58 from a MK4 has popped up. Does the mount line up aswell as the shifter? its sits farther back, I know, but does it sit far enough back where it is not compatible with the pre cut hole?

let me know if it will work.

The MKIV W58 and the MKIII W58 have quite a few differences.

It's not a direct bolt in. The shifter is far too far back. The tailshafts are different, and the bearing races are different sizes internally are different in the tailshaft housing.

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
I understand that they are different. it sits about 1-2" back, but is it too far without a custom shifter? Does it bolt in to the crossmemeber for the mount in the same area? or is that different too. driveshaft.. no big deal i planned on a custom one if needed.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
If I remember correctly - the bolt holes on the tranny case are in the exact same location. So provided you have the MKIII W58, you should be able to transfer everything over to the MKIIV W58.

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
Supracentral;1521415 said:
If I remember correctly - the bolt holes on the tranny case are in the exact same location. So provided you have the MKIII W58, you should be able to transfer everything over to the MKIIV W58.

Talking about the mount position or talking about hybridizing the MK3/MK4 tranny's?