MK3 turbo vs MK4 v8

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
So a while ago I decided to go for a cruise on a awesome Sunny arvo,

I was heading along a highway on my way to nowhere, i caught a glimpse of a black MK4 in my side mirror about to pull up at the lights next to me.

I wind down my window and say to him "Twin turbo?", he replys "nope, V8 and gives it a rev"
I'll tell you I did not expect that! We exchanged a few more words and he seemed like a nice guy.

my car at the time had a rebuilt 7m with a 57trim running 8psi with a DDP and 3" exhaust & front mount with 4.3 diff gears.
he had a 1UZ-FE with a W58 ?

Lights went green we both booted it, off the line he had me by about 1/2 a length for 1st and most of 2nd, by the end of 2nd i started to catch up quickly, hit 3rd gear and i shot past him.

Next set of lights (a stupid section with about 4 sets of lights for no one) he boots it, same deal by third I've shot passed him.

Still that mk4 sounded brutal! later on found out who he was and had a good chat, top bloke decided to go 1UZ to replace the 2jz-ge.

I've got massive respect for someone who has the balls to not just go the easy path everyone else takes :)