MK3 Turbo R154 Won't Go Into 1st, 2nd, Reverse

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
Hey everyone. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I won't lie I've been driving like an ass lately especially hitting gears hard in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. After doing this today I was going from 1st to 2nd not extremely aggressively and I had a very hard time getting it into 2nd. I played with it while driving and it would go into 3rd and 4th and 5th fine but seemed they moved farther right. My shifter feels kind of loose but not quite bad bushings loose. I stopped at a gas station and was able once or twice to get it to go into 1st and 2nd so they're still there. Couldn't get it to go into reverse, seems like 4th is where it should be and where reverse should be if that makes sense. I just had a wisdom tooth pulled today and I haven't been able to get into the shifter housing yet. I was hoping anyone else had had this situation in the past and could share their solution or that anyone could give me some advice on where to start looking. Thank you once again for your time looking at my post and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Sounds like you may have a bad thrust washer. I am not sure about reverse, but I know first and second gear can pop out or not engage when any torque is applied when the thrust washer is broke. Thats my 2c.
it could also be your shifter fork for 1-2. If your trans is broke, if you decide to rebuild go with the billet pieces here and you will be set.
I am not sure why it will not engage into reverse right off hand. I believe reverse is on its own shaft, and its own shifter fork. Good luck. I wouldn't think it would be your detents, but there is always a chance.