MK3 Killed a 2010 GTI, but not without a good time

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
So I'm cruising along the lake on the way to work on a relatively remote, nicely maintained highway enjoying the scenery, and from just a spec in my rear-view comes flying up this late model, perhaps new GTI. I'm going about 55, so this guy was definitely pushing it to catch me. I let him pass me in the passing zone, and then he slows down to about the speed limit. I notice his 3" chromed exhaust and a glance at a dash mount set of pods.

We come up to a 2 lane passing zone going up hill around the edge of the mountain (this runs about 4 miles or so), and so I say why not, I pull into the passing lane and start to give it a little gas to see what this guy does. He doesn't look at me, and smashes the gas as soon as I get next to him. I decided not to race but follow him. So we're cruising, and I'm keeping up with him no problem, and we're having some fun going around the corners and the such. The second to last straight away, I pull in the passing lane again and he starts to push it, and I give it about 3/4 throttle, and pace him pretty good. I then mat it and pull infront of him going up the last straight away before it merges back into 1 lane.

Seeing the merge come up, I decide to play a little more, so I let him pull along side...but this time he has every intention of pulling infront...and as he passes he doesn't let off the gas, so I let him get his rear tire to my front and then I hit the gas to the floor again, running the full 17psi. I pull on him pretty easy and pass on the inside. But to be nice...just before the merge, I let him take the lead...making it obvious by hitting the brakes.

Just as he passes me, he shoots his hand out the window and gives a thumbs up.

I follow him at his...relatively quick speed...the rest of the mountainous and lake road until the main road splits. He goes in the left lane, I go in the right. We exchange looks of appreciation once more and then head our separate ways.

What can I say...good times!

Mod list: follow this link http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?98571-Summer-Daily-Driver-Build

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Heh, nice. I remember an older riced out GTI being the one that my 7m finally popped it's HG on...

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I had a run like this last winter. A few of us were heading down to Seattle for a huge Toys for tots drive. I was driving next to my buddy in his R32. We got wolf packed buy a few mustangs. We dropped gears . None of the mustangs kept up although they tried. At the end of the Express lanes we all got the thumbs up. I assume they were on their way to the toy run as well.