MK3 Coilover conversion fitment

Brent90turbo

Jun 2, 2008
Montreal
After spending quite a awhile searching both here and on SF, I can't quite seem to find the answer I'm looking for. The gixxer_drew thread was a very informative read and I recommend it to anyone looking to build a custom coilover setup, however it lacks information specific to MK3 fitment.

I'm basically looking to build a coilover setup using sleeves and 2.5" springs fitted to Koni 8040 series shocks. I'm leaning towards 650f/350r springs or maybe even 700f/400r. My issue is determining which spring lengths to order.

Has anyone built a similar setup that I can use as a guide? The gixxer_drew thread mentions the use of either 8" springs front and rear with helper springs in back or a 10" spring in the back for softer springs. My supra is under a ton of snow right now so I can't exactly go out and measure free lengths of the stock setup.

Aswell, what options are there for the upper mounts in the front? I've seen them used as is but with a significant reduction in available stroke. I don't want to go pillow balls unless absolutely necessary....can the stock upper mounts be modified?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I'm in the process of doing this now, but I'm not really in a hurry so I haven't ordered the sleeves yet. I'm going to be doing some measuring when I do get them, but I don't know when that will be. I'm under the impression that since the sleeves are pretty tall, you can probably use the same length springs.
I'll have to doublecheck on the upper mounts, I took apart the set I have last weekend so I can take a look when I get the chance. If I remember correctly, there's not much you can do to modify them...

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Planning on doing this as well, but is down the list of projects a bit. Im still not even sure which sleeves to get as most dont have good info or measurments listed. Please post whatever you guys find when you do!

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I'm assuming which sleeve you use depends on the shocks you're using. I'm using bilstein shocks, so I'm planning on using the sleeves that bilstein sells. I know there are aftermarket manufacturers so you should be able to use those as well.
It doesn't really matter so much about the length of the sleeve because you can get a c-ring groove cut into the shock body, allowing you to mount the sleeve however high or low on the shock body as you want.

RotaryHead

Gets beat up by Motors
Aug 27, 2009
Tucker, Georgia, United States
k here are the pics they where tokiko shocks
p1499275_1.jpg

starting to cut
p1499275_2.jpg

p1499275_3.jpg

welded on perch for sleave to sit on
p1499275_4.jpg

p1499275_5.jpg

moded lower spring perch
p1499275_6.jpg

p1499275_6.jpg

tada end product
p1499275_8.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I cant say your welds look pretty but if its functional :D

That gives you the hight adjustability but the whole reason I am considering this is to have the ability to run 2.5 id springs which have a much larger rate and length selection and come in linear and much more predictable. Ill be doing this to a set of illumina IIs so I need to find a set of sleeves that are close enough to the correct ID that I can just turn them to be perfect. I know there are alot of ones that are listed for hondas and neons and crap but they never have any measurments.

Brent90turbo

Jun 2, 2008
Montreal
A1 racing has a bunch of sleeve kits, sometimes the dimensions are given on the website but if not give them a call and they will open a box and measure them live. At least they did for me.