Megasquirt + 1JZ + LS1 Coils

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hi,

I am learning about running megasquirt on a 1jz. Eventually I would like to replace my 1jz coils with ls1 coils since they seem to be cheaper and in better condition then 1jz coils. I also like the fact the ls1 coils have individual ignightors for each coil.

I am wondering if anyone has run ls1 coils on a 1jz with megasquirt? Or how would I accomplish this?

I couldn't find much information on the idea, can anyone point me in the right direction?

armyboot

Nov 16, 2008
canada
sweetlikechutny;1470798 said:
Hi,

I am learning about running megasquirt on a 1jz. Eventually I would like to replace my 1jz coils with ls1 coils since they seem to be cheaper and in better condition then 1jz coils. I also like the fact the ls1 coils have individual ignightors for each coil.

I am wondering if anyone has run ls1 coils on a 1jz with megasquirt? Or how would I accomplish this?

I couldn't find much information on the idea, can anyone point me in the right direction?

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/471900-ls1-coil-pack-pinouts.html

Can be done. You'll end up signaling the factorty built-in ls1 driver with ms instead. Either ms1 with 6 spark out's or wait till ms3.
The hard part is mounting the coils and keeping it clean. I don't think they'll fit under the cover.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Don't know if the valley is a different size for the 2jz, but I fit mine under the cover. I also found the LS1 coils run nice overall. I am however running them with a AEM series 2 standalone.

Yes it is true that they have their own ignitor for each coil so you can get ride of the stock seperate ignitor.

And the poster above me is also correct that you signal them directly from the ecu.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The LS coils are nice, we installed them on a 2jz running a Haltech E11v2 recently and they work great!!. We tried them on a 1jz, but they dont fit, the 1jz is tighter between the valve covers and the breather tubes are in the way.....SO.....

I run 1ZZ coils from a 2000+ Celica on my car with a Haltech PS 2000, and they work fantastic. I have gone upto 25psi boost with an .030 plug gap with no breakup at all. These also have integrated ignitors, and are coil on plug style , so there is no plug wires like the LS setup. We are now offering a kit that includes the custom mounting brackets, and pre-made sub-harness . we can also get brand new coils for you too. Check the other thread in this section about JZ coils for details and pics. PM me if you want the mounting system.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not all LSx Coils are created equal, the later stuff is much hotter than the early coils and you need some way to adjust the dwell in the ECU of choice but that applies to any "dumb" ignitor.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Thanks guys,

I think I understand now how I would drive independent ignitioniters with megasquirt.

2zz coils seem to go for a decent price as well.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
We are running MS down here in South Florida.
We did 603rwhp on a 1jz with a Billet6265 Turbo, so
it's definitely proven it's worth.
So far so good. The person doing it is Jordan goes by Shaodome in Clublexus.
He's got year of experience with MS

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
becauseican;1472376 said:
I run 1ZZ coils from a 2000+ Celica on my car with a Haltech PS 2000, and they work fantastic. I have gone upto 25psi boost with an .030 plug gap with no breakup at all.

I was going to post this but you beat me to it. I will probably end up going this route in the spring.