Massive components mounted

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well guys, im new here, and i have already created a thread on a different forum. It was sort of a genereal guide, build log for my car. I figured i would show you guys how i wen about mounting oversized speakers in the doors.

http://www.carforum.net/showthread.php?t=1699

Check out my install. I think you guys will enjoy it, i still have alot of dynamat to install on the doors and some sound deadening to the panels, as well as my 12" to flush mount in the tire well... Ill keep you posted how that goes.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
nice, RE XXX...what substage? im thinking about going for a 05' version XXX...first time seeing re on this site...lol

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Doward;907150 said:
What are you doing about the area you trimmed on the door panel itself, under the stock triangle shape?

I just trimmed off with a dremel most of the metal, but left the part the door handle bolts on to. I had to cut most of the reinforcing metal out of the way of the speaker. It clears with about a 1/4"... I may have to grind some more out. I wont know untill i really push the speakers harder to see just how far the really move.

steveyblack;907225 said:
nice, RE XXX...what substage? im thinking about going for a 05' version XXX...first time seeing re on this site...lol
The plans are for my US amps XT4000D and one of my 2 RE SE 12's... Unless someone can convince me to put them both in the back... I think im going to flush mount it in the spare tire well.... And then eventually ill be powering it with an Audison LRX monoblock to match my 2 channel.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Paint on sound deadening for the door panels... In all honesty i qusetion how well this stuff works. I think if you were to layer it on like three layers thick it would be worth it, otherwise i feel like i wasted $50 on the stuff. But hey, i paid for it, so im going to use it every where i can. Back of plastic panels mostly...

p921498_1.jpg

A close up of the beast going in the doors...Resonant Engineering XXX 6.5 for your info.

p921498_2.jpg

The doors all sealed and sound deadening applied both inside and out. I decided to paint some of the blue paint on stuff on the inside since i have so damn much of it...

p921498_3.jpg

Over all my component speakers really sound great! I recommend anyone wanted a quiet(er) ride, or better music, in thier car to use some type of sound deadening. I recommend Elemental designs Edead line for one reason. Its extremely affordable for its quality. At half the price of dynamat brand, and almost as effective, its dumb not to go with it! Plus, they have amazing customer service. I ordered this stuff on friday and it showed up on my door step tuesday afternoon.

If you have ANY questions related to mobile audio, please ask me, i know about all there is except the very technical stuff in SQ setups... but other than that i have built many systems, both SQ and SPL, and all have been top notch.

Next to come is the sub install in the trunk. Ive got to find a way to flush mount 2 of these in the spare tire well, and still give them each about 1.6 cu/ft of displacement.... :/

p921498_4.jpg

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Pics i finally took of just how tight the clearence is of my mids from the door panels...

p926139_1.jpg

p926139_2.jpg

There is about 2mm of space between the surround and the door panel. Eventually i will shave more of the door panel to give the surround more clearance. The are rated at 14mm peak to peak excursion, so thats about 7mm one way. I have quite a bit to shave... :/

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
steveyblack;929143 said:
those are 6.5'' right? and do they clear your window?
Yes the RE XXX 6.5's. If you look in my build thread on carforums, you can see the bracket i had to build to make them fit... The JUST BARELY clear the windows... I mean barely. There is just millimeters of clearance. If the window is down and you shut the door, the glass smacks the back of the magnet, so i stuck a piece or foam tape on the back of it to try and prevent my window from breaking....

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
pbasil1;929538 said:
Yes the RE XXX 6.5's. If you look in my build thread on carforums, you can see the bracket i had to build to make them fit... The JUST BARELY clear the windows... I mean barely. There is just millimeters of clearance. If the window is down and you shut the door, the glass smacks the back of the magnet, so i stuck a piece or foam tape on the back of it to try and prevent my window from breaking....

dude great job on the install. cudos. i went about the same way when i did mine. i wasnt as brave as you though i went with 6'' coaxil. i did do a little somthing else that turned out pretty cool. i took a 4'' and made a spot in the front bottom corner. it sounds good. cant wait to see what you do next

Attachments

• supra 021.jpg
    supra 021.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 33

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
shenronzero;929578 said:
dude great job on the install. cudos. i went about the same way when i did mine. i wasnt as brave as you though i went with 6'' coaxil. i did do a little somthing else that turned out pretty cool. i took a 4'' and made a spot in the front bottom corner. it sounds good. cant wait to see what you do next
Thanks for the props! I plan for my next project to build something a little like what you have, a slightly raised flase floor in the back, but ill be getting my RE SE 12's as flush as possible. I dont want them sticking up at all. It going to be tough because of how deep they are, but i feel that i can manage to make it work. I just may end up having to cut and modify the spare tire well...

Ill surely keep you all posted and try to make as detailed of a write up as i can when i do it.

The 4" looks good on your door. It looks stock, just the way i like it! I do plan to convert to a 3-way active component system some time in the future, so i may do something similar to that when i have to mount a mid...