Masive inline 6 twin turbo engine found at local scrap yard

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Thought id share, a friend of mine dropped a load of scrap metal off and saw this beast, its actually sitting on the block, the scrap yard pulled the oil pan off to get the rotating assembly out. Twin turbos, each facing the opposing direction, the inlets were a good 6-8 inches!! :aigo:

imag0025r.jpg

imag0027m.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
toyotanos;1700366 said:
So what, you goona bolt one of those turbos to the 1UZ ;)

Haha, I thought about one of them for a compound set up for my truck, but I dont think a 4.0 would ever spool that alone. The engine would idle and the turbine wouldnt turn, haha. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Generally engines that big are marine or used in compressor stations. We have engines up here in the natural gas fields that you could park a small car inside the cylinder bore...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'd be more scared to think of how fast those pistons have to travel to spool them...

jstricker

Sep 10, 2010
Kansas
te72;1706794 said:
I'd be more scared to think of how fast those pistons have to travel to spool them...

The pistons on the existing engine? Not very, it will only spin about 1500 rpm max at rated hp.

I'm with one of the earlier posters, Waukesha, maybe an older Allis and most likely a compressor or genset power plant. It could really be any kind of stationary power unit though. Pumps, oil field drilling/pulling units, etc., etc. Had you looked a little closer there would have been a data plate on it somewhere that would have told you all kinds of useful information.

John Stricker
Russell, KS

(Been working on ag tractors and industrial engines/equipment most of my life)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
PM member Chambers and see if he's stopping by again- might be interesting to "discover" the engine's story :)

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
engines like this usually spin at a constant speed. the turbos react more to the engines load than they do to the speed of the engine. as i have said before its too small to be a train, and way to big to be mobile. its probably a generator,pump, or powerpac setup from a drilling rig. but if i had to guess id say generator

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
fixitman04;1706838 said:
engines like this usually spin at a constant speed. the turbos react more to the engines load than they do to the speed of the engine.

Good point. I don't have much experience with this sort of engine, just know they're all over in the fields around here.