Marlin Crawler Thrust Washer????

phinko

Jul 20, 2010
Texas
Hello, been looking alot into rebuilding an R154 and see lots of talk of the MC Thrust Washer.
Looking at pics I find it odd that there are no oil passages???

Does anyone else find this odd? Curious if there had been any damage as result like overheating the new washer. Im thinking I may just rebuild it with a stocker.

Still like the bearing retainer and shift fork idea though.

Phil

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I installed the MC washer right after they changed to the solid piece without oil passages. It worked fine for me. I was running about 360hp, sticky clutch and tearing it up every day for 9 months. No issues. Don't build back with the stock washer. Not worth it. I even had to wait 3 weeks for them to make more. I also installed the 'new' cmoly retainer. Very nice piece. And that was a couple of months before they came out with the new shift fork, which I had to replace with an OEM fork.

Also, I noticed when building, the first gear has oil passages cut in it. So there is really no need for the TW to have them too. I wish I took pics of that so I could show you.

Just one result. Hope that helps.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
suprahilux;1609636 said:
Also, I noticed when building, the first gear has oil passages cut in it. So there is really no need for the TW to have them too. I wish I took pics of that so I could show you.

If I rememeber correctly, this is why they didn't bother to machine them in.
You should also look into getting the MC bearing cover plate as my understanding was that part was also a related issue with thrust washer failure.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Cz.;1609936 said:
You should also look into getting the MC bearing cover plate as my understanding was that part was also a related issue with thrust washer failure.

I came to that same conclusion when the center bearing could move about an 1/8" in any direction. The stock retainer just wore out. I was shocked. The MC retainer tightened it up.