Magnafine Filter Install Pics

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I mounted my new Magnadine Power Steering Filter today. I stated out by removing the Reservoir and ultrasonic cleaning it in water and dawn blue dish soap since this is the best degreaser I've found. I had gone to Toyota to see about buying new OEM hoses, but for the 5/8" hose down to the pump they wanted 80.00, and 60.00 for the 3/8" hose. The parts guy there was cool, so I told him no thanks and went to Napa where I bought these two P/Ns, 5/8" was 7-1207, the 3/8" was 7-1899. Both it appears can be bought at Napa online also. I mounted everything up, took a few pics so anyone looking to install the 3/8" Magnafine Filter can see how I did it. Everything on mine is leak free and running great, I can see the flow in the reservoir unlike before it was so black from gunk. I really needed this since I had my engine recently rebuilt by Driftmotion, Aaron installed a rebuilt rack, pump, and stainless hoses.

Attachments

• IMG_4841..jpg
    IMG_4841..jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4836..jpg
    IMG_4836..jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4832..jpg
    IMG_4832..jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 127

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Overboard with green dielectric?

Install looks good on the relocated reservoir.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Thanks JetJock, The green goo is called Liquid Electrical Tape. Since was I was in there I decided to redo that ground point by using a spot face tool bit in my makita, cleaned it to bare metal, used an aircraft grade AN960D10 aluminum washer onto the bare metal, then the ground terminals, then an aircraft grade AN960C10 stainless washer, once that was assembled I coated everything with the liquid tape. I shouldnt have anymore corrosion on that particular ground point, and I'm doing them all the same way. Yes on that ground point I was sloopy since it can't be seen, I'll use some tape on other ground points so it looks a liitle more professional. The reservoir cleaned right up with blue dawn dish soap and really hot water. I did use an ultrasound but I would imagine it would come that clean with some work. One way I got the insides so clean is I know your gonna laugh, but I filled it up with soapy water, put caps on the two ports, put the lid on then used used white rice and shook the hell out of it. This also worked awesome on my overflow bottle which also looks like new now. On the overflow bottle I tried everything, Oxalic acid, CLR, Dawn, but nothing melted the crud off the insides, thats when I got the wild idea of using white rice, it acted as media, and cleaned it right up.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

One final upgrade I'd like to do for the power steering is to use Castrol ATF+4 Full Synthetic Auto Trasmission Fluid. Any thoughts or input on this choice?

Last edited:

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
Hmmm. Maybe cause this is a Toyota thing and I'm a mitsu guy, but why would the power steering need a filter? Do they come from the factory like this? or is this just to clean leftover gunk out of the system after you re-did the lines and stuff? I guess I've never heard of such a thing...interesting

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ It's not so much a power steering system as it is a hydraulic system and the single biggest killer of hydraulic systems is fluid contamination from oxidation and particulates. Synthetic fluid, cooling, and filtration greatly extend the service life of such systems. It's especially true for automatic transmissions.

Geezer: Lose the worm clamps. Constant tension is the way to go ;)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
jetjock;1648600 said:
^ It's not so much a power steering system as it is a hydraulic system and the single biggest killer of hydraulic systems is fluid contamination from oxidation and particulates. Synthetic fluid, cooling, and filtration greatly extend the service life of such systems. It's especially true for automatic transmissions.

Geezer: Lose the worm clamps. Constant tension is the way to go ;)

I just placed an order for a lot of different sizes of constant tension clamps because I hate to retighten the worm clamps.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
You’re right there on the clamps, next time I order from Champion Toyota I think I’m going to do the same. When I went to Carlsbad Toyota to get pricing on the hoses I was going to get them there. But honestly it’s the last place I want to spend money, they cater to the new Lexus every year crowd, so I really can’t deal with their prices.

Last edited:

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
That would depend on the state of you power steering fluid and system. Since everything on mine was new except my resorvoir wasn't cleaned out when a new pump and rack were installed, I did that when I installed the filter. I'd say its time for me to change mine now that it's been about six months since I installed it.