Maft Pro help! WTF?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ok, I'm almost sorry to ask this, but I've checked the wires/connections about 4x, and I can not find anything wrong.

I've had this stuff laying around for a few years, and finally decided to get it all done, and see if the Supra will run again. (Should, it was running before I took out the Emanage, and put in the Maft Pro...)

All connections are good. I used 3M butt connectors with the self sealing shrink tube.

It's wired up per diagrams from here, for the 88 TCCS, to replace the Lexus meter I had before with a speed density controlled by the Maft Pro. I have the latest version of the ignition control per Full Throttle's diagram with the resistors added to the wires.

I have Bob's latest software version 5.11, but can't get it to load to the Maft Pro. (The pro came with 4.0 on there, IIRC, and I've setup all the parameters per the quick setup guide for the supra, used my mainscale reduction of -43% as I'm running 780cc injectors)

I have cliped the r7 Resistor on the Maft Pro, and removed the HAC and left it unplugged.

Here is where it gets weird. When I went to key on, the maft pro powered up, and seemed to be fine. (However my wide band was not working.. I have a PLX, and it's wired up per the diagram.. ) SO, I setup the maft pro, tried my lap top, got it to emulate and all kinds of nifty stuff from the Magenta site docs.. but no wideband, nothing..

Checked my wires, and found I did not attach the ground.. (I have an eyelet on there, but left that wire loose.. Grounded it to one of the screws that holds the TCCS in place, the lower one that goes into the catch bracket.. )

Key on, and the AC fan is blowing 100% of the time now.. WTF? How would grounding out my wideband, that pulls power from the same power lead the Maft Pro does BTW, cause the AC fan on the radiator to kick on all the time? (It even runs while cranking.. very weird.)

Second part of this question is why can't I seem to figure out how to download/upload the 5.11 program into the Maft Pro? What's the trick? There are so many f'n threads about how to set this stuff up, it's a study in some weird sort of torture to try and get a grip on how to wire, setup and make the Maft Pro work right on the MK3 for the 88 TCCS.

When I crank the car over, it acts like it's going to start, then does not. The exhaust manifold is getting hot, so there is some burning fuel, but it smells totally rich. Now that the wideband is hooked up, it just reads air.. flickers from time to time, but basicly says air all the time 20:1 or leaner on the Maft Pro reading. (It does move slightly, dropping into the 19 something for a brief second after I hit the starter, but the engine dies..)

Tried more throttle, less throttle, some thottle, not helping. Boggs when WOT cranked, nothing different when open slightly..

Oh, and my ISC has a simple small filter on it.. (Since there is no meter anymore, I figure this should not be a problem right?)

TPS reads inside normal values. Same with MAP and IAT sensors.. they are working, and per the manual, are all inside of tolerence, or expected values when the engine is off.

Any ideas? WTF is up with my AC fan? (I've tried turning the whole unit off, no dice, the fan speed settings work, the temp changes and I can hear the doors closing and opening in the HVAC when I change settings there, but the AC fan just runs, and runs and runs..)

Advice? Dynamite dealers? LOL

Thanks in advance.. I feel pretty dang stupid, this should be easy, and even a caveman can do it.. LOL

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Another question.. Still can not get my computer/maftpro to upload the newest software to the mafpro..

Would that be the reason why the engine will not run? (I have the latest 5.11 based wire setup with the resistors added to the ign wires..) But my MaftPro is on 4.0something..

This is frustrating to say the least.
And I do not have much spare time, but want to get the Supra moved in the garage, and I do not want to push it.. LOL

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I'm not sure if the version you have has timing control, a update is definitely a good idea...

How are you trying to update the MAFT? What part isn't working?

Have you tried using the TPCU?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
OK, I managed to get 5.3 into the Translator Pro.. But can't get 5.11 into there. (Bob has a link posted, but it's only brining up the Tunepro.. no TPCU for 5.11 was with Bob's link.)

The 5.11 version has the ability to add/enrich fuel at part throttle boost..

Anyway, does anyone have a current version of the quick setup guide? The parameters are all weird now, and there are more of them.. (Some are easy, some are completely new, and others, I have no idea what to set them at based on any written docs.. even the new 5.0 user manual.)

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Adjuster;1164100 said:
OK, I managed to get 5.3 (I'm assuming you mean 5.03) into the Translator Pro.. But can't get 5.11 into there. (Bob has a link posted, but it's only brining up the Tunepro.. no TPCU for 5.11 was with Bob's link.)

The 5.11 version has the ability to add/enrich fuel at part throttle boost..

Really? I was under the impression 5.11 only added the ability to use the Aux Spark table as a boost sensitive timing table?

As far as updating, the TPCU program is the same for any update version, if you're talking about TunerPro files (xdf and ads) then you need the 5.00 files, you can find them here:

http://www.turboninjas.com/supra/maft/

Adjuster;1164100 said:
Anyway, does anyone have a current version of the quick setup guide? The parameters are all weird now, and there are more of them.. (Some are easy, some are completely new, and others, I have no idea what to set them at based on any written docs.. even the new 5.0 user manual.)

There is no newer quick setup than the 4.4, it really does cover just about all the bases though, the updated 5.0 guide should fill in the rest of the gaps... what parameters are you unsure about specifically?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Yeah they had to revise the ignition control wiring diagram, because It didn't work initially

There is only one TPCU program Adjuster, it is not version-specific

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I'm still running 5.03, since I'm not using timing control or monitor yet.

Maybe the file you downloaded is corrupt?

Are you getting an error at all?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
If It's any help, I updated to 5.11 today without a hitch

The .s19 file is not all you need, that gave me an error, but when I had ALL the files in the same directory, the .s19, .bat, and update.exe, then it worked

TPCU uses those last 2 files to install the .s19

It's recommended to do a reset afterwards, so after the update was successful, I turned power off, help down the right 2 buttons while turning power on, and kept holding it until it says everything's been reset

After that I went through entering all the config info (particularly select VE table #2 - the rest can be done on the laptop via tunerpro) then set the rest of my tune to the values it was before, and it's working just fine!

[Edit] Noticed you said in the same set of files? If so then the .bat file needs to be edited to have the right filename for the .s19

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
:) I'm starting to catch on really.. LOL But I've been gone to much lately, so have not had time to screw with the car..

OK, If I'm reading this right, I need to edit the .bat file, as I too am getting the error message. (I have 5.11 on my computer, but can not get it into the Translator Pro..)

Do I need to erase the other files? Or does the TPCU automatically load the latest version? (I'm guessing it has to have the right .bat .s19 file name... right?)

I know that I'm going to love it when this car starts to run again, but right now it's just one more thing I do not have time for.. LOL

Have you noticed any improvement with 5.11? Bob says he has a part throttle boost fuel enrich option/adjustment on there. That is something that I've read about, and it makes sense as the stock TCCS is lean in that range, and some have indicated it might be why boost addicted 7MGTE owners on piggyback's tend to blow head gaskets.. the lean condition would foster some knock/detonation, and that would over time, or long use of that portion of the power band, damage the head gasket.

I have noticed when the car was mostly stock many years ago, pulling long hills in 5th gear, and on cruise control, the turbo would build a few pounds of boost, and the engine would start to ping depending on the fuel I had in the car.. it also would heat up on hot days.. (This was on ryegrass pass, going from Moses Lake, to Ellensburg.. if I was really pushing it, no problems, it would go rich, and no more ping/knock.. or if I clicked off cruise, and downshifted to 4th and pulled the hill at higher RPM, no problems.. )

Anyway, the ability to add or adjust the fuel under part throttle boost conditions is really something that I'm looking forward too, but first, I have to get the dang thing running again..:)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If you're using the update utility you don't need the batch file. Doesn't matter if the new firmware is the only file in the directory or if you've got the whole collection.

From what I've read, the main changes to 5.11 (since 5.08) are related to timing control... BUT, given how much time Bob spends tweaking things it really doesn't hurt to try to stay within a couple update versions of the newest. If you've got one that's working well, there's nothing wrong with leaving it, but keep an eye open for critical updates.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Adjuster;1158487 said:
Oh, and my ISC has a simple small filter on it.. (Since there is no meter anymore, I figure this should not be a problem right?)

I didn't see anywhere that you fixed your problem but it seems to me that this would be it. The air introduced by the ISC is metered. It's drawn from the intake tract after the the AFM or MAF sensor. By pulling air straight from the engine bay instead of the intake tract you're introducing unmetered air to the engine, causing an extreme lean condition.

Also, you said that you're using clip connectors instead of soldered connections. It has been my experience, and that of many others, that clip connectors are the source of many of the problems experienced with MAFT-Pro. Rewiring with solder may solve a wiring problem you don't even know you have.

As always it is entirely possible, nay even likely, that I am completely and utterly wrong.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
A breather on the ISC is fine. <----ONLY if you are running speed density!

Benchwarmer is right. IDC's flat out suck, especially when combined with old wiring. Either solder or get some quality crimps and the proper crimping tools for the job. I've had several friends and acquaintances come to me with electrical problems and 90&#37; of the time the damned scotch locks had either failed to cut the insulation well enough for a good connection or they'd flat out cut the wire.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Adjuster;1175057 said:
the ability to add or adjust the fuel under part throttle boost conditions is really something that I'm looking forward too, but first, I have to get the dang thing running again..:)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can accomplish that in 2 ways, either using the enhanced tps (which under set conditions will output full voltage to the ECU tricking it into open loop), or it can be done by unplugging the nbo2 sensor to force the ecu into open loop all the time, and use p/t tracking

I'm pretty sure the only thing 5.11 introduced is a boost-sensitive timing table

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
So, if 5.11 has the controls, I'd rather start there.. :)

All my connections are either soldered, or 3M butt type connectors, used the right crimping tool, and they are sealant/heat shrink type, so they make very good connections.

I will check the only clip type connector I have, but I stripped the wire, pulled the insulator apart, at the "cut" and then clipped the connector on, made sure bare wire was into the forks, then used a well crimped female spade. (Pulled on wires, no loose ones at all..)

That being said, I'll check the one possible weak link, just to make sure it's not a problem. (Again.)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Update..

I printed off a BIN from someone on here.. Do not remember who, but thanks for the bin..

Anyway, using VE table 2, and some other changes not in the "quick setup" guide for the 5.xx version I'm running, it finally started when I cranked it over.. (I about passed out.. )

So, the dang dusty Supra is running again.. Crappy, but I can get it to idle, and even drove it around the block a few times.. Dang the tires are blocked from sitting so long.. but then again, these Goodyears would get that way just sitting overnight, so I'm not too worried about it at the moment.

I'm pulling 42&#37; mainscale on 780cc injectors at just over 30psi of base fuel pressure, with the vac line on the AFPR. (I'll check it later with the vac line off/blocked, and see where it's at, but last time around, I think I had it set at 29psi, and I have not changed that, and that's the figure I used for the -42% mainscale pull.)

Good news is no oil leaks. Some smoke from the parts installed, and then once it's burned off, no more smoke in the engine bay.. No coolant leaks either. (Had some issues with blocking off the coolant ports as this turbo has no water cooling. One of my AN fittings was no longer tight.. dang corrosion from the stock steel fitting ate up the threads, so I had to helicoil it, and then used a bolt and sealant with a "o ring" washer to seal it up. Seems to be holding to 30min of idle, and two mid throttle runs around the block..

Anyway.. Is anyone actually doing anything with the timing deal?

I have mine wired up for both monitor and control per the resitors added diagram off FT&S's Supra threads.. (I have tried nothing on this front yet, I was just happy to get the car running again, and sweep up the dust and cobwebs..)

I'm still having issues with my PLX.. I'm going to see if it's sending a signal to the MaftPro that's useable, if not, I'm going to have to pull it, and send it into them to see if it's something simple to fix.. if not, I'm going with a cheaper setup this time around, and base all the MaftPro operation off the WB eventually. (Use that data to adjust VE, and fuel map settings of course, so if the WB fails, it will still run, but I want the lean cruise, and under boost AF control the MaftPro can provide.)

Anything else I should watch out for? I have not tried to boost yet. This turbo setup is brand new to me, so I have no idea what it's going to be like, but the engine is plenty strong just tooling around the block.. (We still have some snow and fine sand on the road, and it was breaking free on the sand pretty easy, so the engine is running good just off idle.. :) )

Got to love that Stroker tourqe. ;)