Maft Pro capabilities

juggernaut

Jul 9, 2006
South Carolina
I already own a Maft Pro and my future hp goals are between 700-800 hp.At the moment my motor is in the machine shop getting built.My question is will the Maft Pro work for this application of will I need to get a standalone EM i.e AEM. I would like to go with the Maft Pro since I already have it.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Those numbers are at the upper limit of any piggyback system. Assuming 780cc injectors or larger, your 'corrected' airflow number to the ECU will be about half of what's really going in. This will cause the ECU to advance the timing a little too much for a given load, and you'll need to wire up and use the Timing Control feature to compensate.

You can always give it a shot with the boost turned down and see where she starts pinging. Try to stay close to fuel cut so the ECU keeps the timing in a range you can use.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Getting a smooth idle will also be a challenge. All in all you may find that it's just not worth the headache dealing with the ECU, and go for a standalone. ;-)

But I really like my Maftpro and it works great for me in the ~330hp range.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I wouldn't use a piggyback at that level. That's going to be 4x the stock levels, which means you're scaling maps meant for 200 hp to four times their original purpose. You're going to be *much* better off getting a system that allows a tuner to load a map built for 800hp from the start.

juggernaut

Jul 9, 2006
South Carolina
Thanks for the inputs. Looks like I'll be looking for a standalone now,since using a Maft Pro wouldnt work or be too complicated to use. What brand/type standalone would best fit my goals?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
It's more important to get one that your tuner is happy with than it is to do the full feature / price comparison. Motec is one of the better ones, but unless you've got a Motec tuner handy, it's less than useless.

So, find a local tuner that you're happy with, then buy what they recommend.