Maft Gen 2 on rebuilt 7mgte lean idle

vinylspinr

May 16, 2011
Madison, WI
I've read so many different things on this topic and am lost. Here's my current state:
I blew a piston in old 7MGTE. Rebuilt it with forged internals, upgraded CT-26 to 57 trim, have 550 cc injectors, 255 walbro pump, AFPR, Maft Gen 2, lexus AFM, ect.
I owned the car for many years prior to rebuild and it always ran great.

I've got everything hooked up...and I am very confident all the wiring is good and correct.

Maft settings are for MKIII supra, 3 liter, MAF in/output are both MKIII supra, everthing else is where it was when I plugged the unit in. From what I've read in many places, fuel pressure should be set around 40 psi with vacuum line off. Mine drops to about 33 with vacuum line on. Vacuum in car is reading between around 18 or 19 in hg.

I've tried to adjust mainscale and it seems to change nothing. AF ratio's don't change at all. -20% is what I believe it should be set at based on my injector size.

So, with fuel pressure at setting described above, Gen 2 mainscale (even though it's not doing anything) is at -20%, my AF ratio is basically pegged at 22.4. If I bump fuel pressure WAY up, I can get AF to maybe 15.7 but no richer. I'm pretty sure bumping the fuel pressure up that high is not the answer though.

I've also been monitoring VF on Tuner Pro and it does not change from 0 to .1. I am only trying to get idle set up first, then I will attempt to tune under load.

Can anyone give some insight? I can't be the only one ever to have this happen.

On a side note, if I were to drive this car (when I bump up the fuel pressure), it has terrible power, chugs up under load like it's missing. Have changed and tested plugs, injectors, wires, coils, checked CPS many times. MAN! Just want to drive the beast!:: angry ::

vinylspinr

May 16, 2011
Madison, WI
Alright...just in case anyone was wondering. First of all, my CPS was off 180 degrees after I took the timing belt cover off and could see the TDC marks. Dumb mistake. That helped the perfomance quite a bit if you can imagine. BUT, the lean issue I was having was due to the LEXUS 400 MAF sensor upgrade that so many supra owners do. Now that I have a wideband gauge, I can see that this sensor upgrade makes your car run lean, even with the 550 injectors and even if you bump up the fuel pressure to extreme highs. Pretty sure that's why my piston cracked in the first place! I will never recommend this MAF sensor upgrade to anyone in the future. Fortunately I still had the stock MAF sensor and its stock housing lying around for 10 years. Just putting the stock MAF back in will not fix the lean issue, you must also have the stock (smaller diameter) housing. This instantly richened up my fuel to where I can get it around stoich at idle. Great find.

Now, I am still haveing trouble actually seeing any effects with the Maft Gen 2 hooked up. I need to richen up the fuel mixture at low loads and when I bump up these settings on the MAFT nothing seems to be happening. It's running around 14 to 15 under low/mid load and all the sudden, whether it senses mid/high load, it dumps fuel in and the car runs great and the fuel mixture goes down to about 10.5. I'm thinking I need numbers closer to the 12-13 mark at low/mid loads to get ride of my missing/poor acceleration issue I'm having. Should the MAFT Gen 2 be looking at RPM/MAF or perhaps someone recommends using the other setting for loads, TPS?