Ma70 instrument cluster woes

wwooster

May 15, 2013
Australia
Hey guys, I've recently changed the motor in my ma70, to a built 7mgte, I also decided to do away with standard computer and engine loom, deciding to run a haltech (Australia). So basically, I ripped out the motor and the motor loom, leaving whatever wasn't attached physically to the motor in the car now since then, When I flick the key barrel to accessories, my instrument cluster won't power up (digital cluster) I can see it trying to do something when I turn the key, some things come up momentarilly, but then die, When I take my 7.5 amp "Gauge" fuse out this doesn't happen, so it's obviously getting power.

Now my question was, is it possible that that since removing the stock engine loom, I've somehow removed a relay, or a link between the fuse box in the engine bay and my instrument cluster?

car is a '89 gt limited Japanese import ma70 factory manual 7mgte, digital dash.

Thanks,

Will.

P.S.

Before anyone asks, the wiring suppliment for the digital dash, shows the wiring going from the "gauge" fuse straight into the combination meter and all the relevant signals going into too, so I'm stumped.

wwooster

May 15, 2013
Australia
Should also note than all the warning lights come on down the bottom, it is purely just the lcd display that isn't staying on.

wwooster

May 15, 2013
Australia
For anyone that's interested, there's 2 thin brown wires, with silver dots, going tio the long grey plug behind the glove box that just need to be joined, to supply earth.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya that's the same as any engine swap. Without the ground on the m1 plug the gauges do funny things.