LS/SC/GS – Which one would you have?

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I’ve narrowed my shortlist of possible Supra replacements down to an early LS, GS or SC Lexus.

Because of the cheapness of Imports here, the “SC” would more than likely be a Soarer (1JZ-GTE variant) and the “GS” an Aristo (2JZ-GTE variant).

From where I’m standing, they all have their Pros and Cons, for example –

- The Aristo has got 2JZ goodness, but is the most expensive and least pretty
- The Soarer would most likely be the cheapest, but the least practical
- The LS400 has the best engine note (In my opinion of course), but is more expensive to tune.

Any Help or advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Josh

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
It's your decision, but if it were me, I'd go with the GS. A mix of sportiness and luxury.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
IS300 (see sig :D)....J/k...I'd go for the GS. I'd really love to do the 2jzgte swap in that bad boy. It might be my next project.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Depending on what you want to do... Aristo is a cool car to make fast yet still semi luxurious. The LS on the other hand would be a sick ass car just to cruise in. and the SC is like like a NA supra but not as cool haha. I like all 3 though.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my mom has a GS, my brother has an SC...

the GS is incredibly smooth and quiet, but very slow to down shift and accelerates like a boat...

the SC is loud and raw, but you can definitely feel the weight. Acceleration is average from a stand still, but VERY responsive when on the freeway, never hesitates to downshift..

as for the LS, never driven one...

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've had the opportunity to spend at least 1000km in variations of each:

(SC) Soarer 2.5 GT - Pretty fun, like a long porky JZA70, comfier but not quite as fun with A/T. The manual makes for a fun time. Suspension is a good time. Digital dash and climate control can be problematic.

(GS) Aristo 3.0 TT - Fun, room for the family, still hauls ass. Brakes can be overwhelemed pretty quick when you try to clamp down 3800 lb. But it's a good cruiser, too bad the open diff and A/T make it quite a bit less fun than a Mark II/Chaser TT manual 1JZ.

(LS) Celsior 4.0 Limited - Big and spacious. Goes well. Optioned over what you'd ever need. But.....V8 is hard to repair, tune and keep full of gas. No 5 speed is possible really, the electronics and etc get old with time, and I had trouble with the factory air suspension.

Last edited:

Chrisfrom1986

Unauthorized Lurker
Jun 10, 2006
Fresno
MZ12 Maybe?

bucchigiri80s_01_top.jpg

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Big Wang Bandit;963589 said:
Get an OLD soarer

Funny you should mention those, one has JUST came on the market - http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=FSW&action=display&thread=1205880092

garagefujimoto - Thank you for your comments. Are the brakes as bad as everyone says they are? I have a chance to pick up a LS400 BBK upgrade from a local aristo owner for a good price

I'm certainly leaning more towards the Aristo - A sliver BPU'd Aristo sitting on MKIV TT 17's would be the perfect mix of style, sleeperness and speed.

I just wish the lowball MKIII owner in me would stop telling me to go for a LS400 for price reasons.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The brakes aren't horrid, but from 140 km/h they vibrate pretty bad if they are warm.

If you are a cheap bastard, don't get the LS, it only gets 25 mpg whether you baby the V8 or crack it wide open, and the tuning parts are $$$$.

I also vote for an MZ20 Soarer. With a JZ swap :) The you can still feel like you have a Supra/

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
I am I the only one who gets aggrevated at people rebadging their american cars as japanese models. But anyways if it were me I would go with the LS. SC's are the new civic/240. GS is ehhh. But the LS is V8 and that's all that matters.