Looking for rear struts

niknoc

Feb 12, 2013
Marlton, NJ
Hello All! I am a complete noob in the Supra world having just purchased a 1987 Turbo Auto with 128K on the clock and a beautiful body / interior. I'm giving this to my college freshman son once I get the kinks worked out but I have a question first... After getting the brakes completely rebuilt and all the rubber replaced, (hoses, belts, tires, etc.) my new-best-friend mechanic mentioned that the rear struts were toast. He cruised the interwebs for hours and called his salvage buddies but had no joy. The rear struts like the front are powered so I need to find a pair that would work. Otherwise I have to replace all four struts with non-powered units and the price is more than the car and all of the repairs put together. Does anyone out there know what kind of struts to look for and where I should even start looking? I'm hoping to replace just the rear set if I can unless this is a really bad idea. Thanks everyone ahead of time and I really look forward to posting some pics and stats of my new 'baby' once she's on the road!

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Tokico Illuminas are the only tems compatable strut available which you can find around $250 for the pair. You can just buy cheapie non-tems tokico blues or kyb gr2's for cheaper and disconnect the tems actuators up top if you really want to save a lil money but you lose the "80's electronic suspension" coolness.

niknoc

Feb 12, 2013
Marlton, NJ
Thanks! I've just ordered a pair of the 'whites' and look forward to restoring my "80's electronic suspension" coolness!