looking for new suspension setup

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hello,

When it comes to suspension I am completely lost. SO forgive me if these questions are very newbish.

I am looking for a set of springs and struts for my 89. My priority is low and comfortable, I don't think these 2 go hand in hand so what would be recommended for my purpose?

I am definitely looking for something with height adjust ability, so probably coil overs.

Thanks.

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
This topic has been cover multiple times... theres even a thread two down from this one entitled "coilovers...". http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62302 just in case you can't find it.

As a newbie to the forums I would highly suggest locating the search button. It is the most convenient way to get an answer quick. Good luck with the forums.

Kevin

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Like Kevin said, there are a couple threads that deal with that. It also depends on what your price range is. Most of the off the shelf coilovers that will go low do not ride very well. As you'll see from most of my posts, I have a problem with common asian valving and how it seems to sacrifice ride quality in an attempt to make the car feel more "race-like." This is something I am totally against.

You can get decent ride quality out of a setup with stiff springs, which are needed if you want to go low. With a lower ride height, you need stiffer springs to keep the wheel/tire from hitting into everything. I have valved setups to ride well with stiff springs, the ride is still stiffer but it's not harsh, but this is the compromise that you have to make.

Tim

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hmm, so If I wanted to go very low how about the bilstien shocks (HD) and coilover sleeves, I'm not too sure about spring rates, but what brand of springs is recommended?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
IF you wanted to go very low the off the shelf bilsteins wouldn't be your best choice. Due to the length of the damper body, you can't go that low with out running out of shock travel. If you still want a good handling suspension, my TIP Motorsports setup uses Bilstein take apart dampers which can be put together at different rates. This is the setup that I'm running on KJJ512's car.

As for springs, the only off the shelf springs I recommend and sell are Hypercoils.

Tim